Amazon is coming to Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get that any business that employs local is good for the local economy, but how can any profitable company gets a pass on taxes. Not just local, on the federal level too. Given Amazons reputation, it's not like it's trickling down. If anything, it's costing consumers more, like in the case of postage. Amazon gets a bulk deal, America makes up the difference with higher priced services.
You don't understand how that works apparently.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you rather have a stable, respectable company that provides 1500+ jobs build a huge facility and pay little to no taxes, or not have the company come at all? It's easy to cry about tax incentives after a business has decided to choose a town, but without the incentives, they likely would have gone elsewhere. This isn't a Walmart that is going to consume other retailers in the process. Amazon is a good thing for Tulsa. Anything bulk(shipping etc...) is going to be cheaper due to buying power. Basic common sense economics.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the articles i've read, it's not exactly cut and dry for good or for bad. Often depends on the type of jobs and what is offered/given. For example, 1,500 low (skilled) paying jobs, while good, doesn't always have the same benefit as 1,500 high paying (skilled) jobs would.

Also, the length of time for the breaks matters, as it's not uncommon for companies to come back and demand 'more' or threaten to leave.

Plus some *big* deals also require tax payers to foot the bill for utility/road/sewer and other improvements on top of the break in taxes.

one article i've read pointed out that states are pretty bad at going back and tracking exactly how many jobs are created. That once the deal is in place, they don't really want to know whether the company added all 1,500 jobs or not. And that tracking the number isn't easy, either, since economies on the upswing will add jobs independent of incentives.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
. For example, 1,500 low (skilled) paying jobs, while good, doesn't always have the same benefit as 1,500 high paying (skilled) jobs would

Full-time employees at Amazon receive competitive hourly wages and a comprehensive benefits package, including healthcare, 401(k) and company stock awards starting on day one. Amazon also offers generous maternity and parental leave benefits and access to innovative programs like Career Choice, where it will pre-pay up to 95 percent of tuition for courses related to in-demand fields, regardless of whether the skills are relevant to a career at Amazon. Since the program’s launch, more than 16,000 employees have pursued degrees in game design and visual communications, nursing, IT programming and radiology, to name a few.

Seems like there are worse companies to work for out there.....

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
wow! Surprised at this reaction to such good economic news..

So, are you saying Amazon should then just stay away from all Metro areas in the US? Seems they've done pretty well in metro areas across the nation so far. Or, are you saying this is a Tulsa, or Oklahoma issue only ? I'm confused

AMZN started with fulfillment centers in more rural areas and still operate some there. As the interest/demand for same day/next day services grew, they've transitioned to move to metro areas but it was not the original business model.

I work in a portion of the economic development world and have worked with many of the players in the Tulsa Metro who cover the entire EcDev spectrum, including things like AMZN. One of these professionals is the acting executive VP for the BA Chamber of Commerce, Kinnee Tilly. She was quoted about this deal that the placement of people in those positions will be tough at $9.75/hr when she is challenged today to get people into $12-14/hr assembly/manufacturing positions. This is the area where I work with her. It is a rare manufacturer I visit today who will not ask about helping to find their next batch of welders or machinists.

AMZN is an 800# gorilla and will go where they want to go with their FC operations. Tulsa is getting them without doing a local tax incentive but they will do significant infrastructure improvements in the general area of the FC to make it even more available for future development as well as supporting AMZN. I haven't heard if they are applying for state tax incentives like Quality Jobs but I don't see them qualifying for that with the $9.75 wage.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Full-time employees at Amazon receive competitive hourly wages and a comprehensive benefits package, including healthcare, 401(k) and company stock awards starting on day one. Amazon also offers generous maternity and parental leave benefits and access to innovative programs like Career Choice, where it will pre-pay up to 95 percent of tuition for courses related to in-demand fields, regardless of whether the skills are relevant to a career at Amazon. Since the program’s launch, more than 16,000 employees have pursued degrees in game design and visual communications, nursing, IT programming and radiology, to name a few.

Seems like there are worse companies to work for out there.....

i don't doubt that and i wasn't saying this is a bad move for tulsa. I was just pointing out that the ROI on creating jobs is not equal for all types of jobs and that evaluating the benefit of incentives has to take that into account. That it's not an 'all good' or 'all bad' type of issue

Latest posts

Top Bottom