Amazon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In those article it specifies two buildings and some dumpster fires. You ever been to Portlandia and seen how big that area is? The point is, that in real actual not-on-the-internet conversations with actual people, as well as some of you chucklebears, there seems to be this notion that the city looks like a pile of burned out wreckage. It's not. It's quite nice actually. Most of the residents that I've talked to view the protests as a nuisance but aren't exactly living in fear of big bad antifa, protestors, blm or whatever.

When we lived in Oregon for 17 months, the wife had occasion to fly back to Oklahoma and then fly back. On her trip back, her flights first took her to San Francisco before being scheduled on to Medford, OR. At SF, they announced the flight to Medford was overbooked and were asking folks to take a voucher and a different flight, so, since they were offering a $400 voucher, she took them up on it. Her flight on to Medford was first taking her to Portland and then back down to Medford.

She took pictures of San Francisco from the air at night and there were lights everywhere...

...when she got over Portland, about the only way she knew she was over the city was the number of vehicle lights that she could see. Apparently, Portland doesn't like street lights. (Looking at her photos reminded me of images of the Korean peninsula with North being dark and the South being all lit up.)

Some of the folks there in southern Oregon kind of felt like Portland WAS their N. Korea.

Shoot...

...a few dumpster fires might have helped light up the city of Portland.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we lived in Oregon for 17 months, the wife had occasion to fly back to Oklahoma and then fly back. On her trip back, her flights first took her to San Francisco before being scheduled on to Medford, OR. At SF, they announced the flight to Medford was overbooked and were asking folks to take a voucher and a different flight, so, since they were offering a $400 voucher, she took them up on it. Her flight on to Medford was first taking her to Portland and then back down to Medford.

She took pictures of San Francisco from the air at night and there were lights everywhere...

...when she got over Portland, about the only way she knew she was over the city was the number of vehicle lights that she could see. Apparently, Portland doesn't like street lights. (Looking at her photos reminded me of images of the Korean peninsula with North being dark and the South being all lit up.)

Some of the folks there in southern Oregon kind of felt like Portland WAS their N. Korea.

Shoot...

...a few dumpster fires might have helped light up the city of Portland.

I've personally ever really noticed a lack of lighting anywhere I've gone ---- and I've cris-crossed the city a fair bit in my time there, including off the main roads. I don't know on that front. I typically drive there these days so I don't see it from the air as much as I used to. It kind of sounds like you're describing an attitude of the way Texans feel about Dallas to draw a comparison.

But the interesting thing zooming out to look at Oregon as a whole is that really that state has rednecks of a shade that makes ours look like rose. My experience anyways. There are certain areas that are definitely very liberal politically, but it's not as homogeneous as people think. IIRC they might actually have more guns per capita than Oklahoma. Even within the Portland city limits it's not as feel-good-free-love as people think it is. I've spent time in nearly every state and Oregon is one of the very few that I'd say probably has a little something for everyone.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've personally ever really noticed a lack of lighting anywhere I've gone ---- and I've cris-crossed the city a fair bit in my time there, including off the main roads. I don't know on that front. I typically drive there these days so I don't see it from the air as much as I used to. It kind of sounds like you're describing an attitude of the way Texans feel about Dallas to draw a comparison.

But the interesting thing zooming out to look at Oregon as a whole is that really that state has rednecks of a shade that makes ours look like rose. My experience anyways. There are certain areas that are definitely very liberal politically, but it's not as homogeneous as people think. IIRC they might actually have more guns per capita than Oklahoma. Even within the Portland city limits it's not as feel-good-free-love as people think it is. I've spent time in nearly every state and Oregon is one of the very few that I'd say probably has a little something for everyone.

Especially rain in the Winter in the Cascades.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FB restricted my account for posting a gif of Harris blowing the "J" on a Joe Biden sign. Then a 30 day for violating their "community standards" for "sexual activity or nudity" for the picture below. Yeah ... their censors must live or did some time in a Turkish prison. Got another 30 day for simply explaining to some anti-gun loons that the gun bans in Australia and New Zealand have not worked as advertised in their "liberal coloring books". When they told me I must be "smoking something strong" and was "delusional", I suggested they take a bump of Midol and try to do some honest research. That they said was "bullying".

View attachment 188201

It gets even better. Here is a screen shot of a fakebook page that was “fact checked” with the pic deleted.
The guys were just trying to help a kid.

IMG_2218.jpg

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny it is the Portland police that keep declaring riots, not the conservatives, and there have been more than a few fires.

View attachment 188295
There's more dynamics than just the portland police declaring it for giggles because of the relationship between them and the way their regulations work and more importantly how they work with Multonomah County Sheriff's office who has less restrictions (in use of tear gas for instance) due to how they are not directly impacted by restriction the portland police have on them.

The relationship in many ways is why stuff in Portland can escalate quickly because Multonomah SO is made up much much more of the "good ole boy son imma crack your skull for funzies if you dont respect my authority" crowd than the general population of Portland is. Many portland police are from outside the city and fall in that stereotype as well. So the population of the city can tend to be strained at best with the LEO community. This is the picture gathered from talking to many people on the ground there anyways. I've never had interaction in an official context with them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's more dynamics than just the portland police declaring it for giggles because of the relationship between them and the way their regulations work and more importantly how they work with Multonomah County Sheriff's office who has less restrictions (in use of tear gas for instance) due to how they are not directly impacted by restriction the portland police have on them.

The relationship in many ways is why stuff in Portland can escalate quickly because Multonomah SO is made up much much more of the "good ole boy son imma crack your skull for funzies if you dont respect my authority" crowd than the general population of Portland is. Many portland police are from outside the city and fall in that stereotype as well. So the population of the city can tend to be strained at best with the LEO community. This is the picture gathered from talking to many people on the ground there anyways. I've never had interaction in an official context with them.
Do you have a link to prove this? Maybe some empirical statistical data to support this? What is Multonomah?

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe they simply disregarded the obvious. Maybe they couldn't put two and two together. Maybe they thought a show of force in the beginning would only serve to escalate hostilities. Maybe the powers-that-be wanted the chaos and held the Guard and police back until the level of rancor piqued. At this point, anyone's guess could be just as logical, probable, or improbable. What's your guess?

Woody
They likely have excess prison cells. Feed as needed. You must keep these things stocked to a certain level.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a link to prove this? Maybe some empirical statistical data to support this? What is Multonomah?
Come on sweetie, you know as well as I do that I could post all the primary sources in the world and you wouldn't believe them just because I posted them. So my suggestion if you want to learn more would be start slow:
Capture.JPG

And then work your way though other sources like:

www.oregonlive.com/portland
www.katu.com
www.kgw.com
www.kptv.com (this is the local Fox affiliate since you'll like it most)
www.npr.com/tags/portland
www.opb.org

Also, I highly recommend going there. You can talk to people. There's lots of hiking, great food, mountains, snow, rivers, Sportsman's Warehouse (Many of which seem to be getting primers in more than around here).

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

To answer that one question above. Interesting that Rex misspelled the name.

Multnomah County, Oregon

There is also a well know waterfall to the west of Portland along the Columbia River Gorge with the same name.

Latest posts

Top Bottom