American Airlines suspends alcohol sales in cattle class

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a rise in disruptive passengers in all airlines this year, American Airlines internal memo released Saturday says AA will suspend alcohol sales onboard planes at least until this fall.
But that apparently won't apply to first class or business class, just those sitting in the rear of the airplane.
(The recent incident with a Southwest Airlines passenger knocking out a flight attendant's teeth may have been a factor.)
https://nypost.com/2021/05/30/american-airlines-to-keep-alcohol-service-suspended/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The airlines onboard employees are no longer acting like customer service reps, more like surly gestapo barking orders at the slightest infraction and removing passengers for minor mask infractions.
The masks raise tensions. I know they certainly did for me the very few times I wore one. Compound tension and alcohol served on board or prior to flying, it’s a recipe for trouble.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never understood why alcohol was a thing on planes in the first place, but I'm also not much of a drinker myself. Consider the circumstances: narrow tube 30k feet off the ground, no room to walk around, limited bathrooms.

I get that it is a way for the airlines to make money, but frankly they'd profit greater if they just charged for selling sodas.

Are people so substance-dependent that not being able to drink during a 2 hour flight is a major a problem?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last time I went to Hawaii, there was a group of 40-ish aged dudes sitting across the aisles from us that started ordering liquor out of Houston and didn't quit for the eight hours it took to get there. By the time we landed in Honolulu, they had to be helped off the plane by staff and poured into a cab. It was the most impressive display of corporate negligence I had ever seen.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Flewe to HI in April and they did not have alcohol on the plane going or coming back.

This is all I ever buy anyway.

mr-mrs-ts-bloody-mary-mix-can.jpg

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With what rough air does to my equilibrium and eventually my stomach, booze is the last thing I would want. I even board flights with fairly empty stomach. Don’t want to have to share, wait my turn to use that miserable tiny crapper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom