American Rifle Company 10 round AI mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I started loading for my Bergara HMR, I was using the 5 round mag that came with it. It allowed me to seat VLD's out further than the Magpul AI Pattern Mags. Ideally, I need 2.879" COAL to get them to run fast in the mag. Even at that length, every now and again, I stick a round wonky in the mag. I've been putting off buying a more expensive mag as I am still burning up the last of my original load of 140 SMK's that are seated deeper. I'm down to my last few rounds and started looking.

These ARC mags came up a few times on another forum. This is a double to single stack that is super short. I shoot super low on the bench and the 10 round single stack mags don't let me get as low as I need. This does. The 10 round Magpul AI pattern mags should really be called 9 rounders. You can get 10, but seating it on a close bolt and then running the bolt over it is not something I want to do with a precision round. To much pressure. This mag, I could probably get 11 rounds if I tried. Plenty of room with that 10th round.
1677165292219.png

Biggest thing is being able to seat way out to 2.97" if you wanted. at 2.879" COAL, I am about 30 thousands off the lands with a Berger 140 grain VLD. I have plenty of room left.
1677165249606.png

1677165259135.png

I cycled a few mags worth and so far, zero issues. These run about 70 bucks. Pretty close to the Accurate mags, but these have gotten pretty high praises and I love how short they are. Teflon coated, removable floor plate and the spring is strong.
1677165388484.png
1677165422655.png

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ironically shooting a friend's rifle the other day, it was having feeding issues with an actual AICS mag but fed smooth with the Magpul one.
I have a Gen 1 MDT mag and both feed really smooth. I wonder if it has to do with the feed lips being plastic v's metal and allowing the rounds to slide better? I have an Accurate mag in my .300 PRC and sliding that top round with 5 in the mag marks up the brass pretty good.

I assume the Teflon coating does the same as the plastic

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update on this mag.

Both myself and @conditionzero had all kinds of issues with this mag yesterday at the range. Random rounds were nose diving under the feedramp and the bolt was jumping over the rounds at various times.

When I received the mag, I took the floorplate off and cleaned everything.

Decided to put it in my HMR Pro in 308 to try, same issue. Called ARC and spoke with Bella. She was pretty helpful. Gave me the measurements of the inside with of the feedlips front to back. Also the measurements from the bottom of the catch to the top of the mag. That was spot on, but the feedlips were not. Should measure .392" at the front and .379" at the rear. Mine was .381" at the front and .372 at the rear. She asked if I was willing to mess with them and ensured if I fubar'd it up, warranty would cover it.

With several years of tuning STI mags to run in a 2011 40, I felt fairly confident I could do it. After a few minutes, I had them were I wanted them. Ran a total of 40 rounds through with zero issues. That was in my HMR pro.

My HMR does not have near the clearance on the side of the feedramp to keep the rounds from catching on the bottom. The pro is machined differently and has more room. I had an issue with running long VLD's from the mag in the beginning and ended up dremmeling out a groove in the feedramp to match the Pro. Runs VLD's seated way out to 2.875", but still too much meat on the bottom corners of the feedramp.

While I'm a little miffed that I had to tune the mag, Nothing is perfect and I'm ok with delegating it to 308 HMR Pro duty. I'll run my 5 round Bergara mags in the HMR for now. I'll try some AI factory mags next.

EOR

Latest posts

Top Bottom