America's Police Fleet: Every New Cop Car You'll See In The U.S.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’ve always dreamed of owning a former police car, right?
https://www.motor1.com/news/405194/ford-mustang-police-for-sale/

I can't imagine anyone wanting to own a used police car. They sit for hours at idle which is not good for a gasoline engine. The interior has to smell like puke, piss and whatever body fluid has been excreted into the seats and floor boards by people arrested.

That being said there are a lot of LEO wannabe's that think cruising around in a former police car makes them bad ass in their own minds.
We have a couple in town with older LEO cars and wannabe's that buy new ones.
Buy a black Dodge charger with cheap wheels, a spotlight on the drivers side, push bars on the front, a half dozen antennas on the roof, and blacked out windows. Get your kicks watching people slam their front ends on the asphalt when hitting the brakes. What a life.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend that collects beer can -- doesn’t like beer, but has beer cans from everywhere; I have an older brother that loves airplanes, everything about airplanes, but doesn’t like to fly. I just read that a billionaire bought an Egyptian mummy !!!!!

That being said; I am always impressed by someone who takes care of there stuff !!!!

Even things that were issued to them, while others destroyed or let their equipment slide to mediocrity. I take a lot of interest, when I see someone that improvises, adapts, and overcomes. Especially today

The above 1989 Ford Mustang SSP is such an example -- according to the article they were only 15,000 of these vehicles made -- Am I going to bid on this car -- I think I’ll pass -- but it sure is a good looking car.

The police car (sedans) in Bixby and Broken Arrow have plastic or fiberglass ( some kind of polymer material) rear seats, the floor pans have drain holes, to flush out what was left behind.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many, many years ago went on a family outing to Eureka Springs; outside of Eureka Springs was a police store / museum; the billboard read it had Andy Griffith’s Ford Galaxie -- I had to stop; later I found out, it cost $5 to see the car -- I was going to pay the $5, but I got the same look from my wife; when I order the fried fish combo platter instead of the grilled. Skipped viewing the car -- should have looked at the car !!!!!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually owned a FL state police "pursuit" (2 door) 1960 Dodge that I bought when a teenager. Bought it for $400 from a coworker in 1964 (cracked head and EVERYTHING wrong with the ignition, but clean interior and good paint). My mechanic mentor said it would be a good first project car for me, and I did the work under his eye. Spent $130 on parts (good junkyard head for $15) and drove it until I bought a new 1967 Dodge RT in 1967. The police Dodge was the only used car I ever bought, but working on it gave me the confidence to put 240,000 miles on the 67 RT, and I replaced or rebuilt everything on the 67 RT at least once.

When the modern hemi charger finally came out with performance matching the 60s muscle cars, I bought a new 2011 MOPAR limited edition Hemi Charger. The modern Hemi Charge is undoubtedly
safer and more reliable than my 1960 Dodge Police Pursuit and 1967 Dodge RT, but is not that different in raw power and speed. And in 1967 I could legally cruise at 115mph across Montana ( the RT 440 turning 5200 rpm on the "sweet spot"). Although the 67 had a 440, it was no faster than the 60 police pursuit car, which was more narrow and had the fins on rear fenders.
It was a different world then, a good time to be in your 20s with a fast car. Now I am just another old fart that rambles on about the good old days.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RCMP the Canadian feds been stopped a time or 2 by them I'm my youth. Cool looking cop car

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard back in the day when they OHP drove the mustang GTs , that those cars were the most dangerous cars in the fleet. They were crashing them all the time.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't imagine anyone wanting to own a used police car.
Elwood: You don't like it?
Jake: No I don't like it...
(Elwood Blues floors the pedal and jumps over an open drawbridge)
Jake: Car's got a lot of pickup.
Elwood: It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
(a brief thinking pause while Jake attempts to light a cigarette)
Jake: Fix the cigarette lighter.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't imagine anyone wanting to own a used police car.
There used to be a company in Oklahoma called, IIRC, Pursuit Unlimited (I want to say they were in the Chandler area) that bought used cop cars and sold them cheap. A friend of mine had a buddy who'd spend $200-$300 on one of their used cop cars, drive it for a few years, then buy another one (this was back in the late '80s/early '90s). They weren't perfect, but you couldn't beat those deals with a stick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom