Ammo buying: bulk website vs big box stores.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, since I'm going to the range at least once a week I've been seeing how pricey it is to shoot. Thankfully I mostly shoot the two most inexpensive calibers, .22 and 9mm. However, shooting my AR15 the cost mounts quickly. So I'm scouring local and online sources for ammo. I've looked into a few bulk websites and I've yet to find a website that can beat local even with bulk pricing. Once I factor in shipping vs tax, local seems to always win. Am I just lucky to have good prices in my area (Tulsa)?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
With shotgun shells, I've found nobody that can compete with Walmart. $4.74 plus tax a box from the end cap. My daughter will shoot around 250 boxes this trap season. I've found some deals that are cheaper per box if I buy an entire pallet, shipping cancels out the savings per box though.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With shotgun shells, I've found nobody that can compete with Walmart. $4.74 plus tax a box from the end cap. My daughter will shoot around 250 boxes this trap season. I've found some deals that are cheaper per box if I buy an entire pallet, shipping cancels out the savings per box though.

I find the same thing with all calibers I shoot. Right now my current range ammo is American Eagle for .223 rem, Winchester white box 9mm 55gr FMJ and Blazer .22 lr /Aquila .22 lr. So far Academy has the best prices for the .223 and .22 while wal-mart is cheaper by $1 for the winchester white box. I guess if I lived in area without an Academy those websites would be cheaper (or you live in an area with high sales tax). Just wanting to see if I was missing something.

Michael Armstrong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find the same thing with all calibers I shoot. Right now my current range ammo is American Eagle for .223 rem, Winchester white box 9mm 55gr FMJ and Blazer .22 lr /Aquila .22 lr. So far Academy has the best prices for the .223 and .22 while wal-mart is cheaper by $1 for the winchester white box. I guess if I lived in area without an Academy those websites would be cheaper (or you live in an area with high sales tax). Just wanting to see if I was missing something.
I get 223 from psa 5.99$ a box free shipping. They run a sale fairly often

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I buy from PSA also, .22lr 5000 round cases and 1000 round .223 cases. As said watch for their sales and will have free shipping.

For 9, 40, & 45, I reload.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are just plinking 100 yards or so you can get some pretty cheap components from Moparman to build yourself some .223
If you had brass and the press and dies it would cost $20.40 or so to make 100 rounds of .223 ammo.
that is #4.08 a box of 20. If you cast your own lead bullets it would get cheaper.

I spend more than that on making my .223 rounds but I go for utmost accuracy and do not want to just sling them all away rapidly.
9MM could be really cheap to make. No idea what 9 costs but I know what 45acp and 357 mag does and casting and rolling my own makes it cheaper to shoot than 22 LR.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've not tried PSA, but every other website I've checked (using ammoseek) I've been able to save money by shopping locally after shipping vs sales tax is included.

Latest posts

Top Bottom