Ammo Education Please......38/357

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some reason I am always drawn to snub nose 38's. Over the last 40 years I have owned Colts, Smiths, Rugers, Taurus and Charter Arms. I recently traded for a poly Ruger for the wife to keep on her side of the bed loaded with some powered down loads. She loves it. .357 mag? Love it....always have and always will. I guess I am a recoil junkie. It's not for everyone, but something about a .357 snubbie has always attracted me.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I carry the Speer Gold Dot 38 Special +P Short Barrel rounds in my S&W 640 with 2 1/8" barrel.
ef741d0ca47a069c3a120517d3568bd5.jpg

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've taken my wife to the range more than a couple times and she has shot all of my pistols except my 44mag. She really likes my Glock, Shields and XD but she does have a difficult time with racking the slide and with limp wristing the pistol. Couple times we rented a 4" S&W Model 60 revolver and really like it and she shot it well. I've asked her if she would like here own pistol or revolver and she has always declined. Well, she literally woke up one morning about 4 weeks ago and said "I want a revolver." She couldn't elaborate on if it was a dream or what but she now is fully on board in getting a revolver.

We went around to several of the better LGS in the area and had her fondle some of the airweights and the Model 60, 640 and 649. She decided she like the heavier feel of the Model 60 and wanted the exposed hammer to utilize single action as well as DA. She is now getting a nice new Model 60 for her birthday coming up in early February. I'll work with her at the range and make sure she is full capable of using the revolver for home defense if needed. Once we move back to OK she'll get professional training and then take her CCW class.

Here's my question. I have plenty of good 44mag ammo for my Colt Anaconda but need some opinions on 38spl and 357 loads. I want her to shoot both calibers but think I need ot look at a quality 38spl hollow point or a good +P load. What grain should I be looking at for her? 125gr, 158gr? What do you shoot for training/plinking and for personal defense?

If you have a good holster recommendation for CCW chime in as I will also be using that on occasion for myself to carry. Something quality and leather?
Just to make this one guy''s head explode, I'm posting this in the Kansas forum.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Might want to look into LHBWC, they are soft recoil highly accurate round. I was worried about my wife being able to handle a snubbie but she does quite well . Her pistol is steel so it is heavy but that was not an issue.
Lot of info out there on the subject and I decided 6 rounds quick and accurate was better than one she would flinch shooting.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious, please do explain.
I'm talking of a very arrogant ass who thinks that he is the final word on what is suitable for self-defense with guns. To him, no one who is serious about self defense, would possibly think about doing it with anything except a striker-fired pistol in 9 mm. To use anything else means that you are not evolved, mediocre, unscientific and above all else, inefficient. Oh, the vapors!!!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this person has inspired this piece if doggerel

The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the MSF, make straight in the desert a highway for our Glock.

Every MSF shall be exalted, and every revolver and 1911 shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:

And the glory of the MSF shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of ** hath spoken it.

There are others as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom