Ammo for target shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettV077

New to the site!
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to learn about the confusing world of 9mm ammo. I understand right now you have to take what you can find, and know any limitations for your gun. I’m just trying to get familiar and comfortable with my firearm. So all that said, what 9mm ammo would be your first choice for target shooting? 9mm Luger, 115 grain for example? Should I care if it’s full metal jacket or not? I would appreciate some input. Thanks.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At this point in time with the scarcity of ammo you shoot what you can find.

But lets say you had choice on what you wanted and all shelf's were full of all kinds of ammo.

You never know what the gun will shoot the best so you would buy a few different kinds and see what does best in your gun.
It could be an aluminum cased load or a brass case it could be FMJ that shot best of maybe a plated bullet.

Until you shoot all kinds of different stuff you will not know.
I have rifles that do not like any store bought ammo as far as accuracy goes.
That is why I target shoot. So I can wring out the best accuracy. That is also why I make my own ammo.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hollow points are for self defense. I’d want Full metal jacket (fmj) over a lead only bullet if shooting a glock. I prefer them anyway in all firearms. 115, 124, and 147 grain refers to the bullet weight, any should be fine.

+p means it’s a higher pressure load, I’d stay away from them.

this may help too https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/9mm-luger-ammunition-names/

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to learn about the confusing world of 9mm ammo. I understand right now you have to take what you can find, and know any limitations for your gun. I’m just trying to get familiar and comfortable with my firearm. So all that said, what 9mm ammo would be your first choice for target shooting? 9mm Luger, 115 grain for example? Should I care if it’s full metal jacket or not? I would appreciate some input. Thanks.

Unless you have unlimited funds, 9mm FMJ in either 115 or 124 gr is going to be the best "bang for the buck" . You will want to also test a carry load; which should be a JHP round. What kind of gun do you have?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy whatever 9mm you can find that's an acceptable price. If for some reason your gun is picky enough to not run it, you can ALWAYS sell it or trade it. I'd say 115gr is by far the most common, especially in range fodder.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9mm hand guns aren't made for target work(unless you spend big bucks for a custom made gun) if they shoot 3" to 4"
at 25 yards you have a good one and yes they will like one brand of ammo over another

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the posts above have good suggestions....for range ammo (for practice) I use 115gr or 124gr. I always prefer to use brass case ammo in my firearms but have used others including steel. I'm like RickN in that I love the Ruger P89's. I've never had any problems with any ammo in them as I have had with some of my more expensive pistols. Good luck in your quest to know your pistol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom