Ammo for the Ruger 6.5 creedmoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since this is my first venture in the 6.5 creedmoor, I have a learning curve. Suggestions of Grain and over the counter brand would be appreciated. Sighting in at 100 yard unless I get suggestions from you guys. I have zeroed at 50 on every rifle I've owned but since this is going to be a range gun only, though I would start it at 100 and move up.
What say you OSA? Need some guidance please.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can vary depending on the twist rate of your barrel, I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable guys will be along shortly. Pretty sure lots of folks are shooting 130s and 140s. If you don't reload, probably hornady or nosler would be your best bet for ammo.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read that anything from 120 to 140 so I have no idea till I shoot them. Just don't want to buy crap ammo to zero in. What about zeroing in at 100 yds rather than 50?
Any suggestions?
Need to pick up some ammo when I pick my gun up Friday. Since it's the first ammo through the bore, not sure if I should run some crap through it first then zero or get the good stuff and zero.
The 6.5 is completely new to me. Normally I would clean, shoot, clean, shoot, clean and then get serious on zero.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would zero with whatever ammo you plan on shooting regularly, I usually zero my rifles at 100. Probably need to buy a few kinds of ammo and see what your gun likes best. Jcann posted some links to some quality ammo.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that responded. I going probably try some different ammo and different grains to see what groups best. What do you think about breaking it in? Think i should clean run a few rounds to break in barrel, clean and then zero?

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably every maker has a different process, but my last jp barrel I got said to clean it first, then shoot 20 rounds then clean and repeat once more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom