Ammo Price Gouging Needs To Stop!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you're making some pretty pained arguments to validate why selling ammo at a profit is OK when you do it, but not OK if someone else does it, with everything being the same except for the timing of the purchase and subsequent reselling of the ammo.

This.

If the "gougers" were doing something shady - bribing sellers to only sell to them, or something of that nature - then it's wrong.

The "neckbeards" as whiners often call them - are simply setting the alarm clock early and going out to do something others are unwilling to do. They mark up their fairly purchased goods to whatever price they feel they can get for their ammo. You see, it's their ammo, and they are free to ask whatever price they choose.

Ammunition is not some community shared commodity, it's a manufactured product. I'd swear some on here would fit right in with a hippie commune from some of the attitudes about markets and ownership.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you're making some pretty pained arguments to validate why selling ammo at a profit is OK when you do it, but not OK if someone else does it, with everything being the same except for the timing of the purchase and subsequent reselling of the ammo.
yea I was wrong for that. I suppose people should be able to sell whatever they want for however much they want no matter when they purchased it. the lines at Walmart and academy that would travel around the metro buying all the ammo use to bug me but I suppose they were just taking advantage of a mispricing in the marketplace.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This.

If the "gougers" were doing something shady - bribing sellers to only sell to them, or something of that nature - then it's wrong.

The "neckbeards" as whiners often call them - are simply setting the alarm clock early and going out to do something others are unwilling to do. They mark up their fairly purchased goods to whatever price they feel they can get for their ammo. You see, it's their ammo, and they are free to ask whatever price they choose.

Ammunition is not some community shared commodity, it's a manufactured product. I'd swear some on here would fit right in with a hippie commune from some of the attitudes about markets and ownership.
Just had to drag us old hippies into huh?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yea I was wrong for that. I suppose people should be able to sell whatever they want for however much they want no matter when they purchased it. the lines at Walmart and academy that would travel around the metro buying all the ammo use to bug me but I suppose they were just taking advantage of a mispricing in the marketplace.
It wasn't a "mispricing". The retailers selling the ammo had it priced where they wanted it priced based on their wholesale cost and other business related costs...the total amount of the cost of those goods...and what it would cost them to replace the ammo once sold. They set the price based on a profit margin they can live with. The margin is the percentage of the selling price that is profit.

A "mispricing" would be if it cost them $10 to put an item on the shelf and someone mistakenly marked it for sale at $1.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep saying this. Market price is at the retail outlet. When neckbeards hoard the ammo and create a false market, they are gouging.
If everybody just bought from the retail markets, went out to shoot and returned to the store to buy more ammo, this BS wouldn't exist.
When neckbeards stand in line at 4am to wait for the store to open and clear the shelves to resell at higher prices, it creates an artificial shortage which is where we are now.
There is no such thing as gouging.

If the neckbeards are actually making sales at .80 THAT is the market price. If Academy is selling at .45 that is below market.

In any market, with any product that has offerings below market you WILL get arbitrage activity. Even if you make it illegal. Look up New York and cigarette sales.

Last edited:

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don‘t believe we are in a truly free market do you? I think it’s clear that the the FTC is asleep at the Antitrust wheel and has been for decades regardless of who was in the White House. Competition is dwindling year after year in many industries, and government intervention well its happens everywhere. Then there is the FTC allowing these Chinese stocks to list here without full SEC reporting like everyone else, The FED itself is a market manipulator at its core.
Of course not. Ammo price is bring manipulated many different ways by .gov. just like gasoline.

Latest posts

Top Bottom