Ammo Price Gouging Needs To Stop!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
imo the scarcity is artificial. thus calling ammo prices rising due to "increased demand" is disingenuous because the demand wouldn't be as high if people were able to actually purchase.

there is far, far more ammo than what is available for sale. i am confident most places are sitting on TONS. this is not a supply shortage; it is market manipulation.
I'm curious... Why do you believe people who are in the business of selling ammo are sitting on TONS of ammo? I'm asking because, as a former gun shop owner, that makes absolutely no sense to me.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know I'm a little late to thread, but like a few others have mentioned, "gouging" doesn't exist in a free market in my opinion. Thomas Sowell has some excellent videos on why he believes that as well.

I'm always amazed at how people are always crying for "freedom" from gov't control but demand gov't protect them from free market capitalism by regulating prices.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I'm a little late to thread, but like a few others have mentioned, "gouging" doesn't exist in a free market in my opinion. Thomas Sowell has some excellent videos on why he believes that as well.

I'm always amazed at how people are always crying for "freedom" from gov't control but demand gov't protect them from free market capitalism by regulating prices.
I don't think most people around here are calling for government price protection or controls.

I think for the most part they are calling for sellers to be reasonable.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most people. Not all. You may not believe a particular seller is reasonable with a price. I may think he has exactly what I need when I need it at a price I'm willing to pay. It's a very subjective thing.

The best way to encourage a seller to be "reasonable" is to NOT buy his product at the price he's asking.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious... Why do you believe people who are in the business of selling ammo are sitting on TONS of ammo? I'm asking because, as a former gun shop owner, that makes absolutely no sense to me.
Because everyone knows if you sell your entire supply now you aren't getting that sweet, sweet premium. That's why ammo is "scarcely" available, but somehow just about the same stock rates when the "surge" is on.

ie, you don't put your entire inventory out for sale, you sit on it until the selling price hits your target while meagerly stocking shelves with single boxes instead of cases. or selling reloads and sitting on the factory stuff.
>former
oh i see

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because everyone knows if you sell your entire supply now you aren't getting that sweet, sweet premium. That's why ammo is "scarcely" available, but somehow just about the same stock rates when the "surge" is on.

ie, you don't put your entire inventory out for sale, you sit on it until the selling price hits your target while meagerly stocking shelves with single boxes instead of cases. or selling reloads and sitting on the factory stuff.
>former
oh i see
Or you stay in business and sell inventory, not sit on it. Very rarely is sitting on inventory a wise idea. You want to turn it over, not sit on it. Sitting on it far riskier.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
yeah, no way retailers EVER sit on inventory to wait for "seasonal" prices.... <_<

also, it's very much known that firearms and related gear don't really devalue, thus there's no such thing as "dead" inventory. you shouldn't be running a kanban or jit type of inventory management when your product is something that increases in value, takes up little physical space, requires virtually zero maintenance or upkeep, and has virtually an indefinite shelf life. ie, any stockpile of product you are sitting on isn't losing you money. that's nonsense.

do you see gold coin stores pushing to sell their inventory every week? .....the bank?

holy crap i should start a gun store......

Last edited:

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Or you stay in business and sell inventory, not sit on it. Very rarely is sitting on inventory a wise idea. You want to turn it over, not sit on it. Sitting on it far riskier.
lol, anyone sitting on 50k rounds of .22lr purchased in early 00's made a helluva lot more money sitting on it than selling off 50 round bricks every day for the past twenty years. same with crates of milsurp guns, which i know *for a fact* have been bought and purchased and are still crated and cosmolined.

why?

because if you are running a modern kanban style inventory control and constantly afraid of "dead inventory" you are now a buyer again in this market of overpriced, artificially inflated product. you could have just held. that's what the smart stores have done. you make enough of selling stuff like shirts and crap, fishing stuff, politically motivated stickers hell i don't know anything, keep your ammo in your unmarked warehouses. then when the panic hits, you have extended inventory and you aren't subject to inventory depletion and supply side issues like the other guys who were making penny profits by selling tiny boxes out of their crates.

you really think that's not true? you're telling me, as a gun store owner, you bought boxes of 50 rounds of .22lr to put on your shelf?

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know of an example of both.There is a man that owns a pawn shop that took a trailer to northern Texas and southern OKlahoma when walmart was selling 9mm for 10 cents a round back in December 2019.He had several people help him and i heard he bought over 150,000 rounds in a few days.A few weeks ago he was selling it for 90 cents a round close to the army base in Lawton.Don't know this for a fact but it is what i heard and he always has ammo.The local gun store and shooting range where i live didn't have any 22 for 2 or 3 months and i sold them my stash so they could have CCW classes.I go to that range quite often and until the last month 90 percent of the time if people came to shoot 9mm the range nor the gun store had any for sale.In the last few weeks they have got in 2 pallets of 9mm and people are paying 50 cents a round and it is selling like hotcakes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom