Ammunition Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the uproar about?
I always carry a reload. 1 G17 mag for G19 reload or 2 mags for P938. 2 speed strips when I carried a revolver.
Perhaps 'uproar' was a tad strong, but there are a couple of guys up there--one is not nearly as obnoxious as the other--who insist that carrying extra ammunition is useless and that practicing reloads is a complete waste of time. The other one also says that everyone (without exception!!) does best with a striker fired pistol like a Glock, Shield, XD, etc, and anyone who carries a 1911, a Browning Hi-Power, or (God protect us and preserve us!) a wheelgun is in denial, mediocre, un-evolved, inefficient, un-scientific, etc.

I'm usually polite to those with whom I disagree, but this guy tests my patience and some of my responses to him have been much less than temperate.

Anyway, I was just curious to see what you folks in Okie-Land did.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the above in that with a semi auto pistol, a spare mag is essential more for malfunction possibilities than as far as needing the extra rounds.

And whoever the guy is in KS who says that a 1911, Hi-Power or revolver is ...whatever...is, well he is just wrong. Duh. I carry a 1911 pretty often, and I never feel like I am antiquated, in denial, mediocre, un-evolved, inefficient, or un-scientific. At least, no more so than when I have a Glock on my hip. A good wheel gun is more than likely the best thing many folks can carry, if they learn to shoot it and reload efficiently under stress.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience has been that while my autoloaders are very reliable, revolvers are even more so. YMMV.

What gerhard1 said. A quality semi auto needs to be properly maintained, perhaps a bit more than a revolver, but I never worry abut my carry gun failing me.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the above in that with a semi auto pistol, a spare mag is essential more for malfunction possibilities than as far as needing the extra rounds.

And whoever the guy is in KS who says that a 1911, Hi-Power or revolver is ...whatever...is, well he is just wrong. Duh. I carry a 1911 pretty often, and I never feel like I am antiquated, in denial, mediocre, un-evolved, inefficient, or un-scientific. At least, no more so than when I have a Glock on my hip. A good wheel gun is more than likely the best thing many folks can carry, if they learn to shoot it and reload efficiently under stress.
I agree with you here. It wouldn't be nearly so bad if he would not state his opinions as absolute facts. I was telling my gunsmith, who has a degree in physics, some of the things this guys says (it is a scientific fact, that striker fired pistols are best; physics proves it) and he smiled and reaffirmed what I knew all along; to wit, that the guy is full of horse dung. Anyway, Modern SF pistols are good, but I am better with wheel guns.

Looking forward to the 29th. I went into town to arrange for the range to be sprayed to get rid of the weeds and grass, and they will try to be there this week.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I usually have two weapons concealed when out and about. A Glock 42 as back up always and any number of other weapons as the primary with 1 reload, either a extra mag or a speedloader on the belt depending. I have good friends that carry nothing but what is in the gun and others that carry enough ammo to compete in USPSA. Whatever you train with and makes you feel comfortable is my answer. Just train on that speedloader if you are going to carry it, or that mag change under pressure.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually carry one spare mag for whichever automatic I am carrying. Rarely, the 1911, sometimes the G22 or G27, most recently most of the time the PPS .40 or 9mm Shield.

Latest posts

Top Bottom