Ammunition Shipping Education

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you didn't say where your shipping to.
if your shipping to some place like Illinois, theres requirements like having a dealers license. but not Okla. to Okla. address.
I believe theres a difference in classifications if the ammo is packed in its original packaging or loose-bulk packed.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, loaded ammo is considered an ORMD (other regulated material) just like aerosols and flammable household products. It does not require a haz mat fee. Powder or primers however are considered hazardous and require the extra fee.

Loaded ammo; It is concidered ORM-D till it reaches a certain N.E.W. Net Explosive Weight. This will be different with each type cartridge, and once the N.E.W. is met then the vehicle has to show the fire hazard markings. Also primers/ percussion/musket caps are also concidered ORM-D till a certain weight is met, then it also has to be marked accordingly to include the vehicle transporting it, and all HAZ-MAT fee applies.

Smokless powder; In containers depending on quantity, even though it is concidered a fire hazard, the vehicle may not be marked because its not concidered to be an explosive.

Black Powder; Regardless of quantity is concidered an explosive, and has to be marked as such, as does the carrier. All HAZ-MAT fees apply.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a great post with all of this info in it I asked to have stuck on the top.

If by any chance I can find it tomorrow I'll re-bump it.

Until then here's a pic of the label you can print out and stick on your box.

ai479.photobucket.com_albums_rr155_OldFart_57_MailingStickerammo.jpg

Well my post on this has fallen into the bowels of the archives......

Here's a thread from another board that has some good info on it.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,167426.0.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom