Ammunition Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the good info. I usually leave the powder in the hopper of my Dillon reloaders, sometimes for months. This is in my house in a climate controlled environment. What are your thoughts on this, should I pour the powder back in the canister between reloading sessions?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the good info. I usually leave the powder in the hopper of my Dillon reloaders, sometimes for months. This is in my house in a climate controlled environment. What are your thoughts on this, should I pour the powder back in the canister between reloading sessions?

Even though your home may be climate controlled, its not like a lab or full time loading facility, and you still have the effects of humidity, even though slight, over time it could cause some degridation of the powder compounds. Putting it back in the container would be a good idea, but you still need to have some type of dessicant with it.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great info. What would you say is the best way to store loaded magazines? My thought was in ammo cans w/ desiccant, but if you have any better ideas, let me know.
Thanks,
EFsDad

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Great info. What would you say is the best way to store loaded magazines? My thought was in ammo cans w/ desiccant, but if you have any better ideas, let me know.
Thanks,
EFsDad

If your talking of extended periods such as six months to a year, it couldn't hurt. If its just between range sessions, then its probably not worth the effort. If its your carry ammo you should download every so often and wipe down the ammo(NO OIL, OR OTHER PROTECTANTS) with a soft cloth, check for verdigris along the seal of the bullet and casing, and also the primer well. If you can't remove whats around the primer by hand don't use any tools, just toss it. You could possibly try something such as a mild tipped toothbrush. Also strip your magazine and clean it too. You wouldn't believe how much junk can get inside it even with all the bullets in there.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
great information, what is the shelf life of primers ?

As long as they are kept is a dry place with without extream changes in temp, they should last a very long time. No real given time, yet one item the military has that is similar to open primers are CAD/PAD charges that are used on aircraft to blow canopys. They have a shelf life of 15yrs, most are servicable beyond that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good information.
I know people take it to extremes, but my ex-father in law(that I'm still friends with) bought two boxes of Win 30-30 ammo in 1970. He shoots one deer a year, and never sights in. He will use his last bullet this fall.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good information.
I know people take it to extremes, but my ex-father in law(that I'm still friends with) bought two boxes of Win 30-30 ammo in 1970. He shoots one deer a year, and never sights in. He will use his last bullet this fall.

Thats just it. As long as the ammo is kept dry, and away from great extreams of weather. It will probably out last us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom