Ammunition Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thank you to the Mod who stickied it, and to all who have benefitted from it.
If there are any questions on storage, rotation, or any other question relating to loaded ammo, feel free to PM me, or post here. I'll do my best to answer your question's!

Leighton

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Whats the best type of dessicant to use for ammo storage?

Dessicant really isn't needed for loaded components unless your ammo is to be stored outside of your home in a shed or other outbuilding where there is no heat or air. Then it really only needs to be stacked and stored where it can breath. If your storing in MilSpec type cans all you need to do is put a couple of small boards on top of each can so air can circulate, and make sure your cans are off the floor as well if there is a possibility of flooding.

When dessicant is used with military ammunition its more for items such as guided munitions, and its there for the hardware not the explosive. Its very hard to damage selfcontained ammunition such as small arms with the effects of weather.

veteran

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excellent post, Thank you!

Is there any amount of ammo stock pile that one should be worried about. Ive got several thousand rounds of most calibers stock piled and will have to rearrange to leave a decent air cap now :) but im just worried in the event of a house fire that the rounds could possible be a neighborhood threat?

Would large stock piles be better kept in steal boxes, or is it fine tucked away in closets etc..?

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thank you sir...He isn't joking about using the old stuff first. I got out of the army in 1990 and the newest .50 ammo I have ever shot was made in 1952 and it looked brand new with that fresh ammo/ammo can smell..

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
finally scored a few extra ammo cans... first thing that went into cans was the black powder.

probably got more reloading supplies and ammo than I can shoot in a lifetime. unless sh*t hits the fan of course, then I'll barely have enough...

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Excellent post, Thank you!

Is there any amount of ammo stock pile that one should be worried about. Ive got several thousand rounds of most calibers stock piled and will have to rearrange to leave a decent air cap now :) but im just worried in the event of a house fire that the rounds could possible be a neighborhood threat?

Would large stock piles be better kept in steal boxes, or is it fine tucked away in closets etc..?

Black Powder, and your smokless powder stored in its cans are the biggest worry. Loaded ammo burning and blowing isn't that big of an issue even in extreamly large quantities. For most small arms ammunition the powder and primer will burn insde the casing, and since all explosive material seeks the path of least resistance, it will push the projectile out of the caseing. Since there is no barrel, or rifleing to control the projectile, it will only go a few feet from the round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom