Ammunition Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rckitbuilder

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Black Powder, and your smokless powder stored in its cans are the biggest worry. Loaded ammo burning and blowing isn't that big of an issue even in extreamly large quantities. For most small arms ammunition the powder and primer will burn insde the casing, and since all explosive material seeks the path of least resistance, it will push the projectile out of the caseing. Since there is no barrel, or rifleing to control the projectile, it will only go a few feet from the round.

Good stuff, I have some really old Black Powder I need to move and put in a metal container in the garage. Thanks for the good info.

danger prone

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there are any questions on storage, rotation, or any other question relating to loaded ammo, feel free to PM me, or post here. I'll do my best to answer your question's!

Leighton

I have a question about smokless powder storage. If I store my powder in my shop with no heat or a/c, stored in ammo cans, will the temperature change effect my rifle powder and cause accuracy problems? Would it be ok to store it in a refridgerator at around 40 degrees?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thank you sir...He isn't joking about using the old stuff first. I got out of the army in 1990 and the newest .50 ammo I have ever shot was made in 1952 and it looked brand new with that fresh ammo/ammo can smell..

Man, I was shooting .50 with 1940's headstamps....in 2007 in Afghanistan. Never had a malfunction attributed to ammunition.

ldp4570 has put up some good stuff about how long this stuff can last, in non-environmentally controlled conditions. I believe him. The simple step of storing it in a can and keeping it indoors will make it last forever....at least as long as forever means for mere mortals.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One of the last inspections I did was on 57MM recoiless rifle rounds. Even though they were set for demil, from exterior packaging to internal packaging to the rounds themselves, they were perfect. Most head stamped in the 40's and 50's. We also had 16" gun rounds that were made in the mid 40's that are still servicable to this day. Its one of the reasons we sell 106MM recoiless to the Alaska forestry department for avalance control. Most of thouse go back to the 40's, and still do the job. We have inventories of everything from .22lr all the way up to the big stuff. IF it doesn't meet safety requirements its destroyed unless the components can be demilled in a none detructive manner. Most if not all old artillery powder is reprocessed into ball ammo for rifle cartridges, some of which goes back to the late 30's. Comp B explosive can be heated till it becomes liquid and reused in bombs, handgrenades, and newer artrillery shells. Older fuzes are destroyed since lots of the timing methods use black powder as its train during timing, or some idiot on the range turned the timing dial more than three rotations, then thos have to be blown. Liquid Comp B explosive is formed into sheets and stored that way till needed. Some of your other Comp explosives as Comp 5 are to unstabe to be resued, and has to be burned. C3 and C4 can also be melted for reforming or storage, just make sure your handleing it with rubber gloves and don't wipe the sweat off your forhead, or your in for a headache that makes a migraine look like a punk. I know from doing it, water is the only cure, lots of it!!

The US inventory of small arms is extensive, .22s, .22lr, .22Hornet, .32acp, .380acp, .38spl, .357mag, 9MM(several types), .45acp(several types), .40SW, 5.56MM, 7.62X51, 30caliber M2, .30 caliber Carbine, .410, .20ga, 12ga., .50caliber M2HB(Several types). Yes these are still on the books and in storage around the USA. This is just a drop in the bucket, as they also have all soviet/combloc rounds on the list as well.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a question about smokless powder storage. If I store my powder in my shop with no heat or a/c, stored in ammo cans, will the temperature change effect my rifle powder and cause accuracy problems? Would it be ok to store it in a refridgerator at around 40 degrees?

Our military store's powder for artillery, and fixed ammunition inside bunkers(no heat or air conditioning), earth covered, above ground storage in revetments, and on board PREPO(Pre-Position Ships) all over the world in all types of climate. It would take years of normal exposure, such as your shop, for your powder to go bad. I would not store inside a refridgerator, since once its removed it will build up condensation, and will have to be used all up pretty quickly. Very few ammunition items in the military ordnance uses desicant bags or markers, those are usually for items that have electronics already on board, and have to be checked for that, not the explosive or powder charge.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do not store blackpowder in a steel ammo can. The tougher the container the bigger the BOOM!
If your going to store it in a metal box make sure there is a "path of least resistance" such as a non locking lid or very thin soft sheet metal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom