Amsoil Motor Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want hours of fun reading, head on over to bobistheoilguy forums. Basically, Amsoil is great oil, and USED to standout, but now, not really so much. Your top tier oils are just as good for a lot less. Lots of UOAs over there to confirm this.
I actually did read some stuff in there. Well, according to the tests being ran on Amsoil and others, the Amsoil is still amazing. And it was quite better than the others. But there were others that were good.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll say it again, run only non detergent oil in small splash lubricated engine. Brand is up to you. Non detergent does not foam up like detergent oils do.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll say it again, run only non detergent oil in small splash lubricated engine. Brand is up to you. Non detergent does not foam up like detergent oils do.
I haven't used non-detergent oil since I was a teenager breaking in my brand new rebuilt 283 Chevy. The only thing that stuff is actually good for a bar oil on a chainsaw and it's not even great at that, it'll get you by in a pinch. That's it...

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't used non-detergent oil since I was a teenager breaking in my brand new rebuilt 283 Chevy. The only thing that stuff is actually good for a bar oil on a chainsaw and it's not even great at that, it'll get you by in a pinch. That's it...
It’s not too late to start doing it right:

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
6 months and he destroyed it.
1672159903764.png

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually did read some stuff in there. Well, according to the tests being ran on Amsoil and others, the Amsoil is still amazing. And it was quite better than the others. But there were others that were good.

Which tests were you speaking of? Post a link if you could. Back 20 years ago, there was a significant difference. Now? The upper tier brands have caught up.

So for me, Ecoboost motors tend to shear oil pretty bad, which is why I started doing some homework when I bought my first one. Granted this is an older test, but I use Pen Ultra on everything now except the Turbo Buick. But there are more than few brands I'd use, because even Amazon basics, Supertech, and Kirkland oils are that much better than what we had 20 years ago.

1672158581087.png

Ultra showed to have a similar additive pack to Amsoil as well. In addition, surprisingly, Magnatec, and Quaker State Ultra Durability tested well in UOAs.

The thing is that Amsoil has great marketing, and it's obviously a great product, however if your OCIs are ~5K or even 10K, then for me, I didn't see the stripper glitter, because just about any top tier oil can get you there no problem. However, 10K+ OCIs? Ok, Amsoil or something of the like. But as someone said....lots of preference out there. I dare anyone to say Amsoil or Redline in some of those Subaru boy's groups..... man they love their Rotella.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that above test is an evaporation test.
Shows nothing in the form of wear or shear or foaming.
Just heat it up and weigh what you have left.
Do that with a brick and I bet it has even lower numbers.
Not saying that those good performing oils are not good at that.

The Noack volatility test, named after Kurt Noack,[1] determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high-temperature service. This test is standardized as ASTM D5800.[2]

In this test, a sample is heated at 250 °C for 60 minutes with a constant flow of air over it. The weight fraction lost is the result for the Noack volatility test.

As the lighter hydrocarbon fraction of motor oils evaporate, the viscosity of the remaining oil increases, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy, increased oil consumption, wear and tail-pipe emissions.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using it for I don't even know how many years. I got to thinking and it has to be over 30 years now. I put their 100:1 two stroke oil in my brand spanking new Lawn Boy mower mixed at 2oz in 1 gallon which works out to about 85:1. I did that because it was just easier to mix 2oz instead of some partial oz quantity and it worked out even at the end of the bottle.

It didn't burn up so I kept doing that. Still didn't burn up and it ran great. That mower ended up falling apart around that little 2 stroke engine which was still running like it did the day I first fired it up years before.

Amsoil does what they say it does. Now I only change my oil once a year and don't even worry about the milage unless I approach 15,000 which I then pay attention to and change if necessary. When I was on the road every day I ran their 0W30 Series 2000 oil 28,000 miles on a change. That oil was rated for up to 35,000 mile change intervals (depending on driving conditions). I'd drop the filter, screw on another, top it off and continue on every 6 to 8k. UOA at the end said to change but only because the TBN had finally dropped, the wear metals and viscosity were all still good.
Agree on the Sabre Amsoil 2 stroke stuff, I usuall mix a bit more at 50:1 or so. Even sitting for a few months I can start them up within a couple pulls. Watched a few reviews a couple years back where Amsoil beat everyone and used it for a bit but the price! Amazon basics came out with a good showing, better than Mobil one especially on cold flow, been using the Amazon for awhile but now they jacked their price, time to revisit the reviews.

Latest posts

Top Bottom