An Electrical Warning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can still buy hospital grade outlets that are rated 20 amps per outlet. My shop is full of them.

Leviton 8300-HW 20-Amp, 125-Volt, Heavy Duty Hospital Grade, Duplex Receptacle, Straight Blade, Self Grounding, White
https://a.co/d/ceTEj34

20 amp receptacles will not have backstabbing holes, of course, since backstabbing can be used only with 14 ga. wire @ 15 amps.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also appliances that draw 20 amps have a different plug.

There’s a guy on YouTube that does electrical testing to find out what it takes to burn up wire and other things. There’s quite a bit of room. Assuming your connections are good.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also appliances that draw 20 amps have a different plug.

There’s a guy on YouTube that does electrical testing to find out what it takes to burn up wire and other things. There’s quite a bit of room. Assuming your connections are good.
Ohms law will give one just about everything you need to know about how much heat can be generated by a poor connection along with some additional math.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ohms law will give one just about everything you need to know about how much heat can be generated by a poor connection along with some additional math.
He will keep turning up the amps to find out what it takes to burn a wire. Can that be mathematical? I’m not that well versed other than the basics of ohms law.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never used backstabbing. Always saw the potential for trouble and not enough contact that would create heat.
Especially with dissimilar metals in contact with each other creating corrosion. The contacts inside the receptacle are not copper as is the wiring. This electrolysis is one of the main reasons for fires and loose neutrals.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He will keep turning up the amps to find out what it takes to burn a wire. Can that be mathematical? I’m not that well versed other than the basics of ohms law.

I didn't quite understand why a welder with very low voltage and hi amperage was used as an example of home or industrial wiring that can run up to 480 volts, and sometimes much higher.
To eliminate a long post with the additional mathematics to illustrate how resistance in an electrical circuit can cause a tremendous amount of heat, I'll just post this here.
https://www.ecmweb.com/maintenance-...20890352/the-basics-of-electrical-overheatingAs an additional sidebar, the guy in the video twisting the wires before applying the wire nut is not in accordance with directions the manufacturers of those wire nuts recommend.
I've been to a training seminar by Ideal and SquareD on that subject.
The main issue is that people use the wrong wire nut for the conductors they are attempting to join. If using the proper wire nut, the nut itself will perform the twisting and do it properly.
I was always concerned when I saw people putting electrical tape on a wire nutted connection because it "didn't seem secure" to them. If it didn't seem secure, they probably used the wrong nut for the wire they were using.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't quite understand why a welder with very low voltage and hi amperage was used as an example of home or industrial wiring that can run up to 480 volts, and sometimes much higher.
To eliminate a long post with the additional mathematics to illustrate how resistance in an electrical circuit can cause a tremendous amount of heat, I'll just post this here.
https://www.ecmweb.com/maintenance-...20890352/the-basics-of-electrical-overheatingAs an additional sidebar, the guy in the video twisting the wires before applying the wire nut is not in accordance with directions the manufacturers of those wire nuts recommend.
I've been to a training seminar by Ideal and SquareD on that subject.
The main issue is that people use the wrong wire nut for the conductors they are attempting to join. If using the proper wire nut, the nut itself will perform the twisting and do it properly.
I was always concerned when I saw people putting electrical tape on a wire nutted connection because it "didn't seem secure" to them. If it didn't seem secure, they probably used the wrong nut for the wire they were using.
I think we’re missing each other here. He is running 60 amps through a 14ga wire. The math to determine exactly when it burns would be what? If you wanted to make a fuse for a 15 amp circuit, what gauge would you use? 28?

Latest posts

Top Bottom