An Electrical Warning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do not know if this is only a me problem or not but here we go:

had an issue with one of our power circuits. Shut off the breaker, took off the cover nothing. Started tracing other plugs on the circuit and found a very bad plug. The plastic had separated, broken, and all the metal bits were free floating. A good portion of my house has white face yellow back Hubble 15 amp 125 volt tamper resistant plugs. In a very inconspicuous location in a light stamp it says China. Maybe 10% to 15% of these are in the same or close to it condition. Do not know or care if an electrician or helper damaged them or not. The Leviton plugs all look good. currently replacing all Hubble plugs. Thankful we had no fire. Did have on plug which had started to smolder.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen some plugs that were very hard to push in the plug and maybe this deforms them.
I have also seen some plugs wired in by using the quick push in wire holes in the back of them.
I like to bend the wires and put them under the screw and snug them up really well.

No need for tamper resistant plugs in my mind.
Kids need to learn.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

had an issue with one of our power circuits. Shut off the breaker, took off the cover nothing. Started tracing other plugs on the circuit and found a very bad plug. The plastic had separated, broken, and all the metal bits were free floating. A good portion of my house has white face yellow back Hubble 15 amp 125 volt tamper resistant plugs. In a very inconspicuous location in a light stamp it says China. Maybe 10% to 15% of these are in the same or close to it condition. Do not know or care if an electrician or helper damaged them or not. The Leviton plugs all look good. currently replacing all Hubble plugs. Thankful we had no fire. Did have on plug which had started to smolder.
dosn't pay to buy cheapest in this respect i've replaced practically all the switches and outlets in my house i rent

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen some plugs that were very hard to push in the plug and maybe this deforms them.
I have also seen some plugs wired in by using the quick push in wire holes in the back of them.
I like to bend the wires and put them under the screw and snug them up really well.

Kids need to learn.
I recently helped a friend with an electrical problem most likely caused by those push in connectors. At two different locations on the same circuit, both GFCIs, the neutral wire got loose from the push in connection and burned. I don’t use them either.

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Kids need to learn.
Took a few bites, but yep, I learned the hard way too by putting a door key in a receptacle when I was about three. Got bit again as a teen trying to dig burnt bread out of a toaster. Been bit several times in my lifetime screwing around with hot switches and other electrical mishaps. I have broke more than a few plug prongs on those damn tamper proof receptacles. Ironically, years later now I have a degree in electrical automation and teach people about electrical safety, measurement taking and arc flash. Now, that I know the animal so much better I handle him like a cobra snake charmer by always finding his breaker before kissing the top of his head. Still a learner though. :) 🔌⚡:w000t:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Where praytell?

Latest posts

Top Bottom