An Honest Question About Posting Items For Sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't in reference to anything or any particular post, just a trend I see with some people.

If you're trying to sell an item, especially a fairly high-dollar item, why not include pictures in the listing? I see listings frequently that say "email or text for photos". Why not just list them one time in the ad rather than having to do it multiple times in an email or text message? I'm genuinely curious about this because, in my experience anyway, good pictures sell items. Must be something I'm not aware of especially for people who post mainly from a phone, I'm guessing.

Also... What is the aversion to posting serial numbers on guns? I don't get that, either. Or license plates on cars? I'm fairly security conscious and I just don't see an issue with doing this. What am I missing? I think it's kind of hilarious to see someone place a finger over a license plate in a car photo to keep people from seeing it. Aren't they able to see it when you're out and about, driving around? Or when the car is parked in your driveway?

Looking for real answers and not asking about any post in particular. I see it all the time and for the life of me I just don't get it. I must be missing something. I've sold hundreds of guns on GunBroker and other forums and websites for over 20 years and never blocked out a serial number. Same with license plates on cars. Not a single problem related to either situation. Have I just been lucky?

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to block out serial numbers, I don't anymore.
I still see it occasionally even from huge sellers on GB. I'd never ever buy a Glock with the serials hidden because that triples your chances of getting a mismatched frankengun.
The pictures is a different story. I think some of them just like the intimacy of blocking out the tire kickers, but like you said it does hurt immediate sales. Although on the other hand it greatly bumps views because I've noticed members on here are more likely to view an ad with comments, even if the comment says "Pics?", because the more comments a for sale post has around here, the more likelihood of there being drama in the comments. It's a really weird correlation but I bet if you looked at the figures, no pics may hurt sales *at first*, but the comments asking for pics brings more potential buyers in the long run. IMHO.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some are just not savvy on loading photos and such, especially from a phone- As a sales professional for almost 50 years- sales aids like lots of photos are what help sell anything- as a Realtor - you can't get much interest without a lot of photos. Then again- I seen some photos that turn me off from buying something

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some are just not savvy on loading photos and such, especially from a phone- As a sales professional for almost 50 years- sales aids like lots of photos are what help sell anything- as a Realtor - you can't get much interest without a lot of photos. Then again- I seen some photos that turn me off from buying something

I don't use my phone so I don't know. I figured that might be the case. But this is the easiest site in the world to upload photos from a computer.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Few weeks back I asked for the Serial Number on a 22 Revolver on here. He denied sending it to me. He lost out on the sale. The 22 Revolver is still on here. Would have been gone weeks ago had the serial number not been so secretive!

Latest posts

Top Bottom