An Honest Question About Posting Items For Sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally will bypass all ads that dont have pics with them, i want to see what im getting, for one i dont do text messages to well and second im not calling someone i dont know and bothering them.
Never figured out the covering of the license plates either not everyone has a way of looking up the license plate.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Few weeks back I asked for the Serial Number on a 22 Revolver on here. He denied sending it to me. He lost out on the sale. The 22 Revolver is still on here. Would have been gone weeks ago had the serial number not been so secretive!
I had a woman ask me for the serial number of a gun I was selling on Armslist. We met and only then did I give her the serial number. She wanted to check on a website to see if it was stolen. Woman smelled like a brewery at 7am. Thankfully it was her adult daughter buying it and not Mrs. Drinky. I'm not giving some stranger the serial number to my gun. Not unless I halfway know them somehow.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would having the serial number allow her to do? I'm just curious...

On the other hand, I don't know of any website where one can check to see if a gun is stolen.
HotGunz Stolen Gun Database is the only website i know of and it is up to each individual that has a gun stolen to become a member and list it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't use my phone so I don't know. I figured that might be the case. But this is the easiest site in the world to upload photos from a computer.
All my photo's are on my phone. That's why some say it's tough to post pics as its a PITA to transfer them to your computer from your phone when tapatalk was just a click away.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HotGunz Stolen Gun Database is the only website i know of and it is up to each individual that has a gun stolen to become a member and list it.

Didn't know that existed. Thanks. But a database of only 27k stolen guns doesn't seem like a lot. I guess it's better than nothing.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't in reference to anything or any particular post, just a trend I see with some people.

If you're trying to sell an item, especially a fairly high-dollar item, why not include pictures in the listing? I see listings frequently that say "email or text for photos". Why not just list them one time in the ad rather than having to do it multiple times in an email or text message? I'm genuinely curious about this because, in my experience anyway, good pictures sell items. Must be something I'm not aware of especially for people who post mainly from a phone, I'm guessing.

Also... What is the aversion to posting serial numbers on guns? I don't get that, either. Or license plates on cars? I'm fairly security conscious and I just don't see an issue with doing this. What am I missing? I think it's kind of hilarious to see someone place a finger over a license plate in a car photo to keep people from seeing it. Aren't they able to see it when you're out and about, driving around? Or when the car is parked in your driveway?

Looking for real answers and not asking about any post in particular. I see it all the time and for the life of me I just don't get it. I must be missing something. I've sold hundreds of guns on GunBroker and other forums and websites for over 20 years and never blocked out a serial number. Same with license plates on cars. Not a single problem related to either situation. Have I just been lucky?
Does make the seller look guilty of something!

Latest posts

Top Bottom