An Honest Question About Posting Items For Sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I post a pic of a gun with the serial number on it or you write down the serial number in a FTF and then later claim it was stolen. How are you going to prove ownership? You simply can't. I will prove you wrong and you will (hopefully) be charged with filing a false police report and/or forging a false bill of sale (fraud).

Good luck. (tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock)

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never say never

You bought the gun from an individual, no background check, no 4473, no receipt, no idea their name. How do you prove it is yours?

The digital may be charged with fraud, maybe not. You are going to have headaches, aggravation and hassle, either way.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Never say never

You bought the gun from an individual, no background check, no 4473, no receipt, no idea their name. How do you prove it is yours?

The digital may be charged with fraud, maybe not. You are going to have headaches, aggravation and hassle, either way.
Chances are you won’t but it certainly could happen. In the late 80’s my brother bought a nice S&W Model 66 from an individual. He needed quick cash as he did and often still does so he went to pawn it at Pitchford? Pawn Shop in Edmond. As he tells the story he was leaving 2 Edmond officers pulled up behind him and conducted a felony car stop. He swears as he lay prone on the ground he couldn’t imagine why they had stopped him. As it turns out, the gun was stolen and he was charged with false declaration to a pawnbroker and concealing stolen property. He got a cheap attorney who pled him out with probation only but has a felony conviction. His life has been full of poor choices but that’s the worst possible scenario of what “could” happen.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chances are you won’t but it certainly could happen. In the late 80’s my brother bought a nice S&W Model 66 from an individual. He needed quick cash as he did and often still does so he went to pawn it at Pitchford? Pawn Shop in Edmond. As he tells the story he was leaving 2 Edmond officers pulled up behind him and conducted a felony car stop. He swears as he lay prone on the ground he couldn’t imagine why they had stopped him. As it turns out, the gun was stolen and he was charged with false declaration to a pawnbroker and concealing stolen property. He got a cheap attorney who pled him out with probation only but has a felony conviction. His life has been full of poor choices but that’s the worst possible scenario of what “could” happen.

I've never seen a pawn shop be able to run serial numbers that fast...especially back in the 80s before widespread computerization. Not to mention a near instantaneous response by the police. When I was a cop our city required pawn shops to report their pawn slips within 30 days. Dispatch would then run the serial numbers of various items as they had time...usually on graveyard shift. I've never known NCIC (or most state agencies) to allow private businesses access to databases...in most places it's illegal for state law enforcement agencies to access state databases (in Colorado it was CBI...Colorado Bureau of Investigation) for other than official law enforcement use.

Assuming there's not more to the story, my guess is your brother bought a stolen gun not knowing it was stolen. Which would only support the "don't show serial number" argument if you had something to hide.

I spent a career as a cop and never heard of this being a problem. Never.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seen a pawn shop be able to run serial numbers that fast...especially back in the 80s before widespread computerization. Not to mention a near instantaneous response by the police. When I was a cop our city required pawn shops to report their pawn slips within 30 days. Dispatch would then run the serial numbers of various items as they had time...usually on graveyard shift. I've never known NCIC (or most state agencies) to allow private businesses access to databases...in most places it's illegal for state law enforcement agencies to access state databases (in Colorado it was CBI...Colorado Bureau of Investigation) for other than official law enforcement use.

Assuming there's not more to the story, my guess is your brother bought a stolen gun not knowing it was stolen. Which would only support the "don't show serial number" argument if you had something to hide.

I spent a career as a cop and never heard of this being a problem. Never.
Feel free to post you guns serial numbers.
or if you have nothing to hide you can go ahead and post your SS#

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FFS...

So you don't see the difference between posting personal identifying information and a firearm serial number on the internet? OK...well, I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

And you must not pay attention to the firearms in the "Classified" section or you wouldn't be posting more stupid s**t. Yeah...it's mine:

G.jpg

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FFS...

So you don't see the difference between posting personal identifying information and a firearm serial number on the internet? OK...well, I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

And you must not pay attention to the firearms in the "Classified" section or you wouldn't be posting more stupid s**t. Yeah...it's mine:

View attachment 306585
I don't and I don't and I'm just being an ass!

Latest posts

Top Bottom