An idea for people on OSA with a lot of land

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how many beeves can you run on 10 acres? how long is the gestation on a beef? are you going to have a bull? what will the beef eat during the winter? if the beef doesn't have enough to eat will it have a calf every year? how many gallons of water does a beef need per day and how will you supply it? what about rain? hail? frost? bugs? is all you are going to eat is beef? same questions with chickens??? same questions with pigs?? these questions need to be answered and understood without doubt. how many acres does your garden need to be to support 1 person? i am not trying to be a smart ass just bringing up some stuff.
Lot of folk don't know the answers to these questions. Cows per acre will vary from tract to tract. Some 10 acre patches on river bottom may easily handle 3 cow/calf pairs just fine for year or 2 and then a few big spring rains and it is under water. Now what?

Hunting-- some think its free freezer filling meat and infinite supply. Can't be more wrong!

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Humans are not angels...they require government of some sort to prevent and resolve disputes.

Already planned that, Thunderdome and That gurl and I are 2/3rds of a triumvirate. We would get whacked rather quickly, but have fun in the mean time.

Really though, if the need ever came, it would be awful. Death and chaos everywhere. Have no desire to be a part of it. We are so interdependent on each other. Even the off grid homesteaders depend on others for a lot. Stuff will break, supplies will run out.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. I agree with @El Pablo ... People like to fantasize about "a simpler time" but 9/10ths of them will want to go back home and reality tv inside a month. It's NOT gonna be fun for anyone.

I'll miss A/C. Otherwise, I think I could do it... maybe. But, sleeping without A/C or a fan would take some getting use to, for sure!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure medical skills would be in high demand. Not initially, but it would be obvious pretty soon.

Yep a doc would be high on the list of must haves. Also would be a great resource for bringing in food from outside people bartering for his services. Also mechanics, farmers, pretty much any real skills.

As far as females not getting along under the same roof, that is why everyone needs they own home. The large central home (fortress) is a last ditch hold out and community center type thing. Would also need a processing building for cattle, pigs and game butchering, a smoke house, hay barns, etc.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I know a family, not related, that somehow decided to take me on as some kind of feel good project I guess.

They've been talking for years about buying some land and preparing for hard times and invited me to come along and live on their land. Big plans and big talk for years.

Well they finally got some land (not much) and after having me out once to look it over it's been crickets for months.

Oh well, I was kinda iffy about the whole thing anyway.

I think they found out that it takes a lot more than talk to get things done. I'll be surprised if they ever contact me about moving there unless something real catastrophic happens. We'll see.

I am also one of those that plans on going in the first wave. Maybe I can stop a few bullets first to give others a chance. If I go down I hope there is at least a pile if brass around me when I do.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a family, not related, that somehow decided to take me on as some kind of feel good project I guess.

They've been talking for years about buying some land and preparing for hard times and invited me to come along and live on their land. Big plans and big talk for years.

Well they finally got some land (not much) and after having me out once to look it over it's been crickets for months.

Oh well, I was kinda iffy about the whole thing anyway.

I think they found out that it takes a lot more than talk to get things done. I'll be surprised if they ever contact me about moving there unless something real catastrophic happens. We'll see.

Oh hell just come have a steak and drink with me and @El Pablo ... We can swap tall tales, too! :anyone: :kiss:

Latest posts

Top Bottom