An idea for people on OSA with a lot of land

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure medical skills would be in high demand. Not initially, but it would be obvious pretty soon.

Not without modern tech... no meds, no tests, etc? Sadly, most of us medical people these days are pretty useless without modern tools. I'll be the first to admit that. <sigh>

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not without modern tech... no meds, no tests, etc? Sadly, most of us medical people these days are pretty useless without modern tools. I'll be the first to admit that. <sigh>
But people without the basic medical knowledge are even more worthless without the modern tools.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

One of the many reasons I'd rather go out in a first wave. Life without modern medicine, screw that.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This reminds me of something my grandfather who grew up deep in SE OK. "If you ever decide to break the law, do it alone. That is the only way a secret can be kept. If you absolutely cannot stand it and HAVE to tell someone, tell your dog. Then promptly walk him out back and shoot him. That is the ONLY way to keep a secret." Haha. My wife was raised in a much more innocent family and that little anecdote really threw her for a loop the first time she heard it. I decided I like my dog, so I just don't do things that require that level of secrecy.

It depends on your plan. Id say for true sustainability, you could get by on as little as 10 acres if you are raising your own beef. Half that if you are ok with just chicken and some pork. That is plenty of room to grow your own veggies, have a couple of wells, and some room to maintain a lineage of meat producing 4 legged critters. If you are wanting to live off wild game, you will need a fair amount more to be able to pursue the game without getting into someone else's land.

The plus side to 5 acres is that monitoring borders would be simpler and is plenty close to tie in security and be able to watch everything from your living room with buried cat6 cable. The downside is how little breathing room there is before someone is on your doorstep so to speak.

how many beeves can you run on 10 acres? how long is the gestation on a beef? are you going to have a bull? what will the beef eat during the winter? if the beef doesn't have enough to eat will it have a calf every year? how many gallons of water does a beef need per day and how will you supply it? what about rain? hail? frost? bugs? is all you are going to eat is beef? same questions with chickens??? same questions with pigs?? these questions need to be answered and understood without doubt. how many acres does your garden need to be to support 1 person? i am not trying to be a smart ass just bringing up some stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom