An idea for people on OSA with a lot of land

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of y’all ever watched those Hunger Games movies? My wife and daughters watch them over and over. Consequently I find myself watching bits and pieces. There’s a bunch of stuff in em that I can see becoming reality. Of course there ain’t gonna be 800 pound vicious dog things and I sure hope that tracker jackers never become a real living creature. I do believe that we may behave like those people when forced and I do believe some that are in power would see it as entertainment. Who will rise up and become the Catness Everdeen of OSA.....

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I get it...but if you forged relationships in advance, some of those people would be friends by the time things go south. Surely having some like-minded OSA people would be better than trying to trust new arrivals after a collapse? A lot of the prepper people have made extensive videos on how you can't make it alone for long (or a tiny group), and that the idea you are going to be stationary and just start shootin' at anyone who wanders by, will accelerate your demise. Good people will still have their moral compass (especially if they are not completely starved), so you just have to find like-minded people. If you had a good initial group, I'm sure the council could decide the best way to vet and monitor new arrivals. A probationary period would be important. As bad as it could get, those of us who still fear & respect a higher power would have to find a way to survive without giving up our civility. Of course defense would be important, but the goal would be to setup a functioning gov't within the group once things became a little more stable...hopefully none of this ever becomes necessary and I am not thrilled about having to consider it. But "if" OSA was able to do this, there could be enough of these refuges for justice & stability setup throughout the state that Oklahoma could fare better than areas that went every man for themselves. Your farmhouse won't last long against a school bus full of antifa-types coming out of the Paseo to seek their revenge on the rural people and take your resources.

A bunch of like-minded, regional city-states that basically preserved the rule of law and as much of the constitution, due process and civility as possible would be much better for our children than a road warrior scenario.

One school bus full of ANTIFA folks armed with frozen water bottles? No problem lmao.
In a "perfect" scenario I agree with you, I think as time passes though it would still have it's issues. Biggest issue is that true survivalist will know what's best for them and their situation, most won't stay long if they don't agree to the landowner's requests or stipulations. Hopefully the landowner is a leader and not a follower who happens to own some land. I foresee too many generals and not enough privates being an issue.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope for the best but expect the worst...the non-religious people have the advantage that they feel like they can act with impunity (think Negan from walking dead)...I would be hoping that many people in OK would be religious, and therefore have a guard rail that reduced the road warrior element of the collapse.

That is making a huge assumption about "non-religious" people. I can truthfully say I have met as many shady people in a church on Sunday as I have people that dont believe in a higher power. People are people, the rest is just a potential identifier.

I would also be more suspect of someone that showed up trying too hard to sell me on their faith because that is exactly what I would expect if a hungry predator was trying to convince me they were a lamb.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is making a huge assumption about "non-religious" people. I can truthfully say I have met as many shady people in a church on Sunday as I have people that dont believe in a higher power. People are people, the rest is just a potential identifier.

I would also be more suspect of someone that showed up trying too hard to sell me on their faith because that is exactly what I would expect if a hungry predator was trying to convince me they were a lamb.

When viewed through the right perspective, I completely understand where you are coming from. But "in general", things are more stable and just in the red areas...the blue areas are cesspools. That is because of "traditional values" and morality. Much of that comes from religious teachings and laws being based on this. What you suggest is a possibility in some situations, but again "in general", I'd rather be with like-minded conservatives and/or people who genuinely believe in God than to be in some woke commune...It would be french revolution treatment for us there. But definitely there will be plenty of apolitical southsiders and trashy methheads who know nothing of antifa or wokeness that could be a threat...I see them all the time just while pumping gas at the wrong part of town. There will also be desperate CPA's and lawyers even copy machine repairmen too that could be a threat in a post apocalyptic scenario:

Last edited:

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When viewed through the right perspective, I completely understand where you are coming from. But "in general", things are more stable and just in the red areas...the blue areas are cesspools. That is because of "traditional values" and morality. Much of that comes from religious teachings and laws being based on this. What you suggest is a possibility in some situations, but again "in general", I'd rather be with like-minded conservatives and/or people who genuinely believe in God than to be in some woke commune...It would be french revolution treatment for us there. But definitely there will be plenty of apolitical southside and trailer trash methheads who know nothing of antifa or wokeness that could be a threat...I see them all the time just while pumping gas at the wrong part of town. There will also be desperate CPA's and lawyers even copy machine repairmen too that could be a threat in a post apocalyptic scenario:

What about someone like me that isn't a person of faith, but believes in the value of the core concepts of the Bible? I would imagine there are some things we might disagree on, but I am not out trying to convert people by expecting them to push their religious beliefs to the side. I encourage my kids to go to church with friends, preferably of different denominations so they can make their own choice if one of them fits and again to give them reinforcement on the ideas that help us function as a society. If they asked me to take them to church, I would without question. I went to church religiously, twice a week, for several years and have been baptized. I am just of an extremely literal disposition so the faith thing is all but impossible for me. My approach is that those guidelines are what help us build a just and healthy society. My concept of life after death is to have a positive and memorable impact on as many as I can and they will carry my name on long after I am gone.

I am certainly not intending to call anyone of faith out or put anyone in a hot seat, but I know I wouldve missed out on some of the most moral and loyal friends I have if I took the approach of dismissing everyone that didnt believe in God or another higher power. That is just my experience though, everyone's miles may vary their outlook.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my dealings with the public in over 20 years of self employment, I find that many “non religious” folks conduct themselves a heck of a lot more Christ-like than my professed “Christian” customers. In other words, I’ve been screwed in business more times by “Christians” than non-Christians.:censored:

In the scenario being discussed, I don’t think religious affiliation will make an ounce of difference when it comes to personal survival. I hope I’m wrong but would bet I’m right.:anyone:

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am impressed that you still think so highly of people in general. I, unfortunately, except for a handful of folks I've actually met, am not quite as trusting. People, in groups of 2 or more, can be quite fickle.
I don't remember the exact quote from the movie Men in Black but Will Smith asks Tommy Lee Jones, why don't we just tell the public the truth about aliens? People will be all right because they are logical and rational.
Tommy Lee Jones says no, one person may be logical and rational but a group of people is a skittish bunch of idiots.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact quote from the movie Men in Black but Will Smith asks Tommy Lee Jones, why don't we just tell the public the truth about aliens? People will be all right because they are logical and rational.
Tommy Lee Jones says no, one person may be logical and rational but a group of people is a skittish bunch of idiots.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." :thumb:

I fear the magnitude of total anarchy, with whole cities (Chicago, NYC, DFW, OKC, Tulsa, etc.) fleeing to rural areas like locusts, will quickly become chaos on such a massive scale that survival chances of any small group(s) will be miniscule. "Small" being less than a hundred or more. I hope to never see such a scenario.

May God help us all.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well guys, you know what I mean...all of the Christian areas typically have the most stability & prosperity historically. I am not saying that means all people of faith are infallible. But moral principles tend to keep society within the guard rails. On an individual basis of course there are always exceptions and whether a person is a decent person can be judged if they value freedom and the American way too...I'm not talking about setting up theocratic compounds...I just mean that people who value human life, are fair, honest and moral is who I'd rather be with instead of it being like being in a prison to survive the group LOL. Good, decent people...that is what I really mean. Some of those guys who did you wrong in business may still think twice about hurting you and taking your food for fear of judgement. A sociopath would care less.

Latest posts

Top Bottom