An old school Winchester M70 target rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the trend is toward bolt guns in synthetic tactical stocks or in an aluminum "chassis" system, but I like a good old fashioned wood stock myself. Here is an old school target rifle, a Winchester Model 70 in .300 Win Mag. Gunsmith Scott Medesha of Mesa, AZ did the work on this one, who knows how many years ago. A custom walnut target stock, complete with an adjustable cheek piece and a under-the-forearm accessory rail, holds a single shot push feed M70 action and a stainless steel, three groove barrel. The stock is glass-bedded and the barrel free-floated, and the trigger is a Jewell. It mounts a 12x Leupold AO scope in a Medesha mount. The receiver is drilled and tapped for a Redfield style Olympic target sight, and a Medesha front sight mount is attached to the barrel. Here she is:
SANY1374.JPG
SANY1383.JPG
SANY1385.JPG
SANY1393.JPG

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! Synthetic stocks are better for constant field conditions, but wood is much purdier and just as good for a day of, hunting, or shooting at the range

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 of the M70's both in 30-06 the first i got was in great shape and the 2nd one was in rough shape so i stripped it down to bare wood and metal and refinished it and use it as my truck gun.
How do you like the one piece rail just added one to the truck gun this morning so i could mount a new scope on it since the old scope bit the dust yesterday while i was shooting some new loads i had worked up so now i have to start all over with that and the new scope.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
rickm, I like the rail just fine, though this particular one does mount the scope pretty far forward. That is not a bad thing, given the recoil of the .300 Win Mag, but it does require a scope with generous eye relief to work correctly.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
rickm, I like the rail just fine, though this particular one does mount the scope pretty far forward. That is not a bad thing, given the recoil of the .300 Win Mag, but it does require a scope with generous eye relief to work correctly.
That's the one you were talkin about at lunch last week right. Was that at SCRAP?

Latest posts

Top Bottom