Anatolian shepherd dog puppy in training..Boy they start em young 😁

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our Anatolians have been my favorite breed we have had so far. They do require a LOT of space to roam when the coyotes start singing though.

If a person lived on an acreage, Im not sure there is a better blend of tolerance towards kids or babies of any species and a fantastic escalation of response to any animal that threatens their flock. We had some strays get in our herd of cattle one time and it was the only time we saw our pair actually escalate to aggression and I would NOT have wanted to be on the other side of that exchange.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one that somebody “dumped” a couple of years ago. He was about 1 or 2 when he showed up, and he was already the size of a Shetland pony. He’s an awesome dog with a great temperament, and he naturally wants to protect the herd whatever the herd might be. I have two mules that are pretty good protectors as well, and it’s funny to watch the mules get irritated with him at times and chase him around the pasture. The mules are mostly playing with him.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are FANTASTIC dogs. If I had an acreage I'd have a bunch of them. Talk about no fear ... 😍😍😍
And their eye for reading livestock and keeping them at ease is impressive as well. Ours could make all but the wildest of cattle settle down by adapting their posture on the fly as they watched what the herd was doing. Like a great hunting dog, it is pretty awesome watching a dog get to do what they have been bred for hundreds of years to do.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My niece and her husband have one. He (and their other dogs) meet me when I pull into their driveway.

At first I’m surrounded but after a few minutes of sniffing around me he’s a big teddy bear. As I walk up to their door he keeps walking across my path trying to keep me away from the house till someone comes out to say it’s OK.

When I’m getting ready to leave he walks up and gently grabs my hand and tries to pull me back as if he wants me to stay.

My niece told me that he’s killed several animals that wondered into his area. She tells me he’s both a teddy bear and a killer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom