Anatolian shepherd dog puppy in training..Boy they start em young šŸ˜

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My niece told me that heā€™s killed several animals that wondered into his area. She tells me heā€™s both a teddy bear and a killer.
We always had them in pairs because coyotes are smart enough to gang up on a lone dog. The stray that got into our herd didnt die a peaceful death. The beta male hit him first at a dead run grab him by the backend and pulling fast enough to take him off his feet. The alpha hit a second later on the front end grabbing him by the throat and stretching him out so he couldnt defend himself. He was a quick and effortless dispatch.

The biggest downside we have found is if you ever need to put them under for medical care, they are very sensitive to anesthesia and there is always a risk they wont wake up. Our pair only ever fought us if we needed to put them in a car to leave the farm or give them a bath. Other than that they were blindly loyal to the living beings on their farm as well as any child that came to visit.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 guard dogs for my goats. Both very protective, yet gentle with people. One is Anatolian/Akbash/Commodore mix. The other Great Pyrennes/Anatolian mix. Doing their jobs
annas_goats.jpg
gabe_job.jpg

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We always had them in pairs because coyotes are smart enough to gang up on a lone dog. The stray that got into our herd didnt die a peaceful death. The beta male hit him first at a dead run grab him by the backend and pulling fast enough to take him off his feet. The alpha hit a second later on the front end grabbing him by the throat and stretching him out so he couldnt defend himself. He was a quick and effortless dispatch.

The biggest downside we have found is if you ever need to put them under for medical care, they are very sensitive to anesthesia and there is always a risk they wont wake up. Our pair only ever fought us if we needed to put them in a car to leave the farm or give them a bath. Other than that they were blindly loyal to the living beings on their farm as well as any child that came to visit.

Oh really?!?!? That's interesting about the anesthesia. That's too funny about trying to get them in the car.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the common training method for stock guard dogs such as anatolians and Great Pyrenees. The dogs need to be raised with their charges so they believe they are part of the flock.
Yep. When I got my 2 as puppies leaving their mom for the first time they were put in with the goats and there they stay. A friend got one but his wife liked to get the puppy out of the animal pen to play. Mistake. Wasnā€™t long before they couldnā€™t keep it with the animals. It would escape and be at the house to play.
Are you my neighbor? I swear that looks like Bandit and Michelle's herd!
don't think so. I'm a couple of miles east of Tinker, no Michelles here

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Milk goats, meat goats, or pets? Bet you donā€™t have to do much mowing or tree trimming. Good looking herd!
I raise registered Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats....and dabble a bit with crossing them with Boer meat goats. Actually....I have to mow trails thru the pasture as I'd loose them.....being a little short ;-) Tho' they are great milk goats I don't milk them much as that is a job and I had one of those once.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I raise registered Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats....and dabble a bit with crossing them with Boer meat goats. Actually....I have to mow trails thru the pasture as I'd loose them.....being a little short ;-) Tho' they are great milk goats I don't milk them much as that is a job and I had one of those once.

My father-in-law decided that he wanted a goat to milk because he liked their milk...

...that was the one job on the farm/ranch that I really didn't care for. I'd park my pickup about 1/4 mile from the house to keep them from jumping up on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom