And more pigs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nicely done! Your going to have plenty of bacon and sausage for a while
I just had a couple of hours before getting ready to go to work so we thought we would go put out more corn and check the cameras. On the way there we drove by some locals firing up two big smokers in the front yard looking like they were getting ready for a weekend bbq, and I said I bet they would like a hog if we get one this morning.

Well a while later we stopped by there and asked if they wanted some hogs. They were glad to see those two just the right size for eating. I'm glad somebody got to enjoy them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nicely done! You're going to have plenty of bacon and sausage for a while
I have no Idea, as I've only shot one, and it was awhile back, but is there enough belly on a wild hog to make bacon?
I know we all like to use that bacon and sausage phrase and have been guilty of doing the same, but just curious if bacon can be obtained from a wild pig?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no way I would go through all the trouble to make home made bacon. Just too much involved.
I've bought pork belly's at Costco in the past. Its actually a simple process to make bacon. $5 to do25 lbs using the store bought cure, but I wondered if there was enough belly on them to even make bacon.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have no Idea, as I've only shot one, and it was awhile back, but is there enough belly on a wild hog to make bacon?
I know we all like to use that bacon and sausage phrase and have been guilty of doing the same, but just curious if bacon can be obtained from a wild pig?
It will depend on how close they were to good reliable feed. Sausage works. Brine a butt ham and smoke it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom