And more pigs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never paid any attention to the belly on one but the next time I cut one open Ill check it out.
I kind of suspect not. Talked to a GW for Osage County awhile back, and he tried to fatten one up from a little one. He told me that it was a waste of money, as they didn't gain weight like a domestic.
I was just curious.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes, that would be called a buckboard bacon. Good stuff. Just wondering if pork belly on a wild hog could be converted to bacon?
It will depend on how close they are to reliable feed. 2 weeks on a deer feeder won't get it done. If they are around a feed lot and are cleaning up silage every night and have been on the good reliable feed for awhile they would have sufficient belly and fat.

Sausage works on all of them (ones that are fit to eat).

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kind of suspect not. Talked to a GW for Osage County awhile back, and he tried to fatten one up from a little one. He told me that it was a waste of money, as they didn't gain weight like a domestic.
I was just curious.

They do not gain weight very well. Will drop it quick when you first catch them. They do real well on bread though. Of course youre not allowed to trap them then put them in a pen to feed them any more so I havent done that in a few years. The ones I did do were fantastic though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom