And so it begins!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Well, got lucky. The FFL that I had my lower shipped to got a shipment of PSA stripped uppers in while I was there chatting with them. So I was able to get a matching upper for my lower. Now just need to get the rest of the parts + the tools I'll need.

Unless budget is a hard limit, I recommend the magpul wrench and upper insert.

Wrench $59.99
BEV Block $39.99
Other tools you’ll need are punches, and a way of starting the roll pins.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless budget is a hard limit, I recommend the magpul wrench and upper insert.

Wrench $59.99
BEV Block $39.99
Other tools you’ll need are punches, and a way of starting the roll pins.

I am going to get their wrench as it came highly recommended by several people. The vise blocks though I think I'll go a little cheaper as I can get both the upper and lower for about the same price as that lower one from primary. I've found a kit on amazon that has roll pin starters and punches, a double headed hammer and a trigger guard press:

Here : $29.99

I also need to get a bench vise, but that's what harbor freight is for.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The BEV Block functions as a vise block for both upper and lower. I’ve used one and would also recommend it, especially if you’re looking at separate upper/lower vise blocks that add up to the same price. In my opinion the money is better spent on a BEV Block.

New bench vises are very poor quality unless you’re looking to spend at least a few hundred dollars. If you get a cheap new one there’s a good chance it’ll just split in half on you sometime, and you don’t want your rifle in it when that happens. My advice is look on Craigslist and eBay for a vintage made in USA bench vise (Wilton, Reed, Columbian, etc.). Find one that’s ugly and the body is a little rusty, but functions perfectly and you should get a good price on an excellent tool. I picked up a great 1960s 3” Columbian bench vise on eBay a while back for $24 shipped. That was a very good deal. Expect to pay a little more than that.

Last edited:

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After the first 2 I put together, I don't use a punch anymore for the roll pins. Much easier with channel lock pliers wrapped in tape.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have th
If you get vise blocks get the ones that attach to the top and bottom of the upper instead of the clamshell style. If you get a billet upper in the future the clamshell probably won't fit.
I have this one:
https://www.ebay.com/p/No-m-a-r-AR-...orers-Gunsmith-223-Barrel-Nut-Tool/1417692853
I have the same model. Works great.
Speaking of vises, Ethan N is spot on. The Harbor freight ones are pretty much hollow cast iron. Buddy spent almost $100 on a big 6" model and when he cranked it down to press in some U joints, it broke one jaw completely off. It wasn't 1/4" thick of cheap cast iron.
Farm auctions, Estate sales, and fleabay will be your options.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so no go on Harbour Freight for a vise. And I didn't realize that magpul vise block was for both halves, now it looks like what I will get. After just a quick skim on ebay I found a few vises that will be about the same price as a similar size new one from HF. The one I might pull the trigger on is a Columbian model 043 1/2 that is 39.99 plus 15 bucks shipping. the only thing holding me is it has about a 1/4" hole drilled into one side of the rear jaw about an inch from the jaw pad. Might do some more looking after work. I knew HF sold cheap stuff, but I would figure that a vise would at least be still solid metal.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Qaulity vices are very pricey a new USA made 8in wilton can start at $500 and you can easily spend over a grand on a nice US made one. I am an admitted tool whore/snob. I still will buy the occasional 1 use item at China Tool. A good vice ia something you wont realize how good it is till you have broke or been around a cheapo that snapped. I broke a cheap 10in in Highschool 30 years ago scared the
@$# out of me.

I found both my good ones at garage sales they just needed to be cleaned up.

Last edited:

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you get both the upper and lower or just the lower?
I just picked up the lower. He had at least the one PSA upper I didn't ask if he had any more. Had a couple buddies with me. I thought one of them might get the second Snek but he didn't bite.

First time I had been to that store. Not a bad little place. Guy said he ordered from PSA usually once a week. I am pretty loyal to a different LGS that has always treated me very well so I will visit other places but normally buy from one place. The LGS I use dosen't stock PSA so this was a no brainier not having to pay FFL fees and its not far from my house. Funny thing was on the way there my LGS called me and said they had some stuff in that I asked them to order. The two buddies I had lunch with proceeded to give me crap about having issues with buying guns. My only issue is I can't afford all the ones I want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom