And so it begins!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Qaulity vices are very pricey a new USA made 8in wilton can start at $500 and you can easily spend over a grand on a nice US made one. I am an admitted tool whore/snob. I still will buy the occasional 1 use item at China Tool. A good vice ia something you wont realize how good it is till you have broke or been around a cheapo that snapped. I broke a cheap 10in in Highschool 30 years ago scared the
@$# out of me.

I found both my good ones at garage sales they just needed to be cleaned up.
I have three 4" Wilton Machinist vises and one Columbia 6" that is probably 50 years old. The Columbia was recovered from a scrap bin where I used to work because it had been used so much the Acme thread in the body of the vise was worn completely out with no way to tighten it any more.
I found the internals were removable so machined out a new one and have it ready to install. Not home right now, but I can take a pic when I get there.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
My old fishing buddy passed away earlier this year at 80. Had an old Wilton in his shop built back in the 80s. Shop burnt to ground in 2001 he dug it out of the rubble and had the paint burnt off, Otherwise he tossed it in a bucket of trans-fluid and worked it daily for couple weeks. Its still on his workbench in his new shop built in 2002 I used it multiple times over the years. That is an amazing tool right there. It would cost a fortune for one now.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my Snek has started growing. Got my Pmags from PSA today along with a MOE lower build kit. Trigger was 8# pull, I polished on it a bit and got it down to 7#. Still going to play with the trigger. Still collecting parts for the upper.
Snek-growing.jpg

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20190405_201337 1.jpg
You are further along than me. I've got some hardware in, going to Tulsa Arms this sunday to see what I can pick up then I'll order the rest. Here is what it will look like (parts are just set in, need an lpk to install them, plus the tools and whatnot).

20190405_201354.jpg

Last edited:

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow that red is bright! I was trying to decide if I would back fill the snek and grass on mine or not. I have seen some with a yellow snek and green grass that I like. This gun is probably going to just stay all black. I have a spikes Jolly Rodger I picked up for my son. That one will probably get a little wild letting him choose what he wants on it.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow that red is bright! I was trying to decide if I would back fill the snek and grass on mine or not. I have seen some with a yellow snek and green grass that I like. This gun is probably going to just stay all black. I have a spikes Jolly Rodger I picked up for my son. That one will probably get a little wild letting him choose what he wants on it.

Yep! Wanted something to break up the solid classic black look and didn't want FDE. I think the last color piece will be the buffer tube. And its a good thing that the posts on the take down/pivot pin are hidden, first time I test fit them a good portion of the cerakote came off due to a tight fit, but now they move much easier without being loose.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looks good. I need to get around to building my MK12 Mod1 lower. I have all the parts but I have been so hooked up at work free time has been hard to come by.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have three 4" Wilton Machinist vises and one Columbia 6" that is probably 50 years old. The Columbia was recovered from a scrap bin where I used to work because it had been used so much the Acme thread in the body of the vise was worn completely out with no way to tighten it any more.
I found the internals were removable so machined out a new one and have it ready to install. Not home right now, but I can take a pic when I get there.

You can get Acme threaded rods and nuts from McMaster Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/acme-threaded-rods

Latest posts

Top Bottom