Animal control.....and the search for rural property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabigboy

Marksman
Reaction score
Had a bizarre moment recently while dealing with animal control regarding my family's 2 cats. I won't go into the whole ordeal, but long and short of it is someone complained about a cat in their yard and claimed it was mine, but it turns out to not be either of my cats (which I now have to defend in court...). But animal control dude was reading me the riot act about how animals, including cats, are not allowed to free roam. When I challenged his assertion and asked to see the relevant ordinance, he went right to the section of city code I figured he would....which explicitly excludes cats. After much fruitless discussion, a phone call to his supervisor, and his attempting a "novel" interpretation of said ordinance, he was no longer asserting flat-out that it was illegal per ordinance, but insisted it's not allowed because "you don't know if your cat is causing a nuisance or not". He still wrote the citation.

Oh how I long to move back to the country again...............

I expect the whole cat thing will be dropped once I show up in court, it's obvious from photos it's not my cat. Though now I have TWO citations, so I'll have to do it again in a couple more months (unless the judge is cool and drops the second one at the same time).

But....I want out.

There have been other issues living in the city, but this one finally did it. I've had enough. I've lived in a city ever since moving to Oklahoma 13+ years ago, and it's past time to get out. It seems like maybe the market is cooling off just a bit, but land still seems hard to come by. Would sure be nice to be able to step out my back porch and plink some tin cans, like I used to do as a kid (I didn't appreciate how good I had it). Fortunately my wife is all onboard with the idea, she loves the outdoors.

The search continues.

Matt

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a bizarre moment recently while dealing with animal control regarding my family's 2 cats. I won't go into the whole ordeal, but long and short of it is someone complained about a cat in their yard and claimed it was mine, but it turns out to not be either of my cats (which I now have to defend in court...). But animal control dude was reading me the riot act about how animals, including cats, are not allowed to free roam. When I challenged his assertion and asked to see the relevant ordinance, he went right to the section of city code I figured he would....which explicitly excludes cats. After much fruitless discussion, a phone call to his supervisor, and his attempting a "novel" interpretation of said ordinance, he was no longer asserting flat-out that it was illegal per ordinance, but insisted it's not allowed because "you don't know if your cat is causing a nuisance or not". He still wrote the citation.

Oh how I long to move back to the country again...............

I expect the whole cat thing will be dropped once I show up in court, it's obvious from photos it's not my cat. Though now I have TWO citations, so I'll have to do it again in a couple more months (unless the judge is cool and drops the second one at the same time).

But....I want out.

There have been other issues living in the city, but this one finally did it. I've had enough. I've lived in a city ever since moving to Oklahoma 13+ years ago, and it's past time to get out. It seems like maybe the market is cooling off just a bit, but land still seems hard to come by. Would sure be nice to be able to step out my back porch and plink some tin cans, like I used to do as a kid (I didn't appreciate how good I had it). Fortunately my wife is all onboard with the idea, she loves the outdoors.

The search continues.

Matt
I feel you brother. I would give anything to get out of yuppie heaven (Edmond) but it is not going to happen at this point in my life. I suggest Oklahoma LandWatch. I go there every now and then., scroll thru looking at properties and drool all over my keyboard.

https://www.landwatch.com/oklahoma-land-for-sale

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think I'll ever be able to move to the country like I want to. Prices are just too d#mn high and I have no confidence that I'll ever get a good enough pay increase to make it feasible.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think I'll ever be able to move to the country like I want to. Prices are just too d#mn high and I have no confidence that I'll ever get a good enough pay increase to make it feasible.
Just jump in with both feet and move to the country. Grew up in the country then lived in town for 18 yrs. Finally moved back to the country and still love it 20 yrs later. Wife had a panic attack when we bought the place worrying over doubling our payment. Financed for 15yrs, worked my butt off and payed it off in 5 and a half. The only thing I regret was not doing it sooner. If you really want it you can get it done.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Idiots in tulsa dont know what the 5' leash law is they let their dogs up to my fence to harass my dogs in my backyard and think they are doing nothing wrong ! so i politely inform them ill have them arrested for tresspassing... sucks but people think they can do whatever nowadays.!

Latest posts

Top Bottom