Animal control.....and the search for rural property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s the coyotes where I’m at that had got all the cats. I’ve seen them scurry up a tree flat fast when a dog got after them, and there are a bunch of trees where I am. Me thinks it’s bigger cats. Particularly the ones with short tails, but you are correct; 7-8 years is old for a country cat. Most don’t make it that long unless they are mighty wily.
We have a lot of bobbies out here where I live (southern Delaware county, Bull Hollow), but it's generally the coyotes that will take out your pets.

My neighbor had a heeler that had pups in a box on their front porch. When he was gone, a coyote would come around one side of the house and distract the momma, while another came from the other side and snatched a pup. They continued this until they had every single one of the pups (4-5, I cant remember which). My neighbor wouldn't have known what was up, if it wasn't for having cameras.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a lot of bobbies out here where I live (southern Delaware county, Bull Hollow), but it's generally the coyotes that will take out your pets.

My neighbor had a heeler that had pups in a box on their front porch. When he was gone, a coyote would come around one side of the house and distract the momma, while another came from the other side and snatched a pup. They continued this until they had every single one of the pups (4-5, I cant remember which). My neighbor wouldn't have known what was up, if it wasn't for having cameras.

I’m not saying coyotes don’t eat your domestic animals, we all know they do. I’m saying I don’t believe it’s yotes that got mine and all the neighbors cats, but ****, this is OSA, let’s go ahead on and have a 6 page argument about it.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup..Bought 5 acres in 1979. SE OKC. in the sticks then....not so much anymore but I can still find a few spots to take a leak outside without getting arrested. So, 35 years later, felt like we were living in the city even on 5 acres, we started looking for a 'bug out' property. Found 80 acres of really sucky , flood plain type forest about an hour away. Built an off grid log cabin on it.....now my sanctuary; get out of the city, hunt, shoot. Wish I had done it 35 years ago.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know if coyotes will really get them or not, but I bring my cats into the barn every night (lock them in) just in case.

I installed a cat door in my shop. They can get out of the weather and sleep in there. It doesn't matter though, we can't seem to keep a cat for longer than 6 months or so before they disappear. People dump off a lot of cats and other animals out here and that's usually how we wind up with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom