Annealing at the table

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then you must dry them.
Drying sucks, another time consuming task .
They cool pretty quick anyway by the time you do 50 cases the first one is cooled off already.

But if you are dealing with a big chunk of copper and need to work on it now the water cooled method will speed up your time.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently sold a Mosin 91/30, and had some brass already fire-formed to that (oversize) chamber.

x54r brass is not something one finds laying around every day, at least the reloadable brass, so I need to use this brass in another rifle. I don't want to just full-length resize, as I aim to get maximum life from this brass (I'm frugal....okay, cheap).

To that end, I set up my high-tech annealing station. Don't tell me about how I'm ruining the brass unless I use a commercial setup costing hundreds of dollars. I've annealed this way many times.
View attachment 153532

The cheap front rest allows me to adjust the height of the torch to match the level of the cartridge case. After a few episodes in which the (lit) torch fell off the rest and table, I secure it in place with a bit of cord.
Nothing like chasing a lit torch across the kitchen floor, in the dark....

Works a treat. I have some brass that I've fired 9 times without full-length resizing, and that brass was used when I got it. After the brass is fired in a rifle, it stays with that particular rifle. That's something of a trick, now that I have 3 Mosins, but I make it work.

This brass will get resized, length checked, and then become a batch for one of the Finns.

LOL! Your set-up is a whole lot fancier than mine! I'll try to set it up later and get a pic!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then you must dry them.
Drying sucks, another time consuming task .
They cool pretty quick anyway by the time you do 50 cases the first one is cooled off already.

But if you are dealing with a big chunk of copper and need to work on it now the water cooled method will speed up your time.
Ah, makes sense.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now, this is bare essentials. I imagine if'n I did this on the kitchen table, I'd have to budget in a divorce!

anneal1.jpg
anneal2.jpg
anneal3.jpg

A friend of mine found a 'sacrificial' golf club ... probably a one iron.

Latest posts

Top Bottom