Annealing.. Temp Indicator (Sharpie)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a few Lapua cases seat ever so slightly easier and this opens the group size.
Fine for hunting ammo not fine if you want to shoot very tight groups.

Of course from a box of 100 lapua I may have some cases fired 8 times and others fired 1 time .. you can tell a difference in group size if you do not anneal.
If you do anneal the group size is much better and usually shooter error will be the deciding factor.

I only have tested that in .308 cases.
My .243 and .223 cases have too thick of a neck in Lapua brand.
Accuracy is not good at all until i neck turn them a few thousandths smaller.
My .243 is very tight..I just shot some winchester cases from it the other day and measured neck ID after firing and it measures .243 ID.
I then measured my bullet OD it is .2435" for the sierra 100gr box that I have.
I thought.HHHMMM I could possibly reload this without touching the case.. clean and prime and seat the bullets by hand.

I seated one into an empty case by hand, then I could not pull it out.
SO I decided this is a good time to check how many pounds it takes to pull the bullet.
I took the 0-25 lb digital fish scale that I use to measure trigger pull and it took 8.5 lbs to pull the bullet.

I used vice grips to grip the bullet and wrapped wire around the case head extractor groove and attached the scale hook to that and began to gently pull the round apart.

Sometimes i wonder if I have anything better to do.. but I like experimenting and I like numbers you can chew on.

tkdgeek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone built one of those annealing machines that drops a case into a pan to spin and anneal. I collected some parts but have been traveling too much to finish building. Ha

Latest posts

Top Bottom