Another AR pistol question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been looking at locally available AR lowers. Can I legally build an AR pistol on a new receiver that has caliber markings (CAL. .223-5.56mm)? This is my first attempt at building an AR. My plan is to build it up as a pistol then if it runs good get a SBR stamp and add a stock later. Thanks.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, that's good to hear, I have been getting conflicting opinions. I think I will go with a Spikes lower and a Rock River parts kit.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Down at Medlock FireArms, they have some S&W M&P AR lowers for sale that do not say Rife, pistol, or Cal. Now I think this would be the best way to go.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did some research on AR15.com. It seems that fairly recently the Form 4473 was changed to allow for type of transfer to be "OTHER". So if you buy a virgin, stripped lower (that has never had a stock attached), you can build it up as a pistol. That being said, I went to Medlocks today and bought a Spikes lower and a Rock River parts kit. I am tentatively planning on building it as a pistol but I have not bought the buffer tube assembly yet so I still may go the carbine route. I looked at the S&W lower but passed because I have heard they will not take PMags???
I would rather not have the lower marked as "pistol" because I would like to have the option of getting a SBR stamp, changing out the buffer and installing a stock. I am thinking a 7.5" upper in kind of an M4 configuration, no optics, just iron sights. Either a carry handle or BUIS.
This is my first shot at an AR build. Comments?? Suggestions??

btw - since I technically bought a gun, Medlock's gave me a free range session. Nice folks to deal with. And Becky is probably the most knowledgable gun nut in the store!

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Down at Medlock FireArms, they have some S&W M&P AR lowers for sale that do not say Rife, pistol, or Cal. Now I think this would be the best way to go.

Does S&W sell lowers only? I thought all S&W M&P15's left the factory as rifles. If they left as rifles they cannot be stripped down and built into pistols.

ETA: I did find a place selling stripped lowers (http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar-15-lower-receivers/s-w-m-p-15-stripped-lower-receiver-sw812000-detail.htm), but I do not know if they left the factory as stripped lowers. Might have to contact S&W to verify.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I would not buy any lower to build a pistol unless I was 100% sure it was originally built, serial numbered, and reported to the ATF as a pistol lower.

It is just not worth the risk down the road.

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I would not buy any lower with a cheesy logo on the side.

However, I would also never consider building an AR pistol. Worrying about how it was originally papered is totally irrelevant if you paper it yourself as an SBR and then configure it any way you want. I don't see the draw to building it as a pistol first, unless you just have to have a functional weapon while you await the stamp.

Rob

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I would not buy any lower with a cheesy logo on the side.

However, I would also never consider building an AR pistol. Worrying about how it was originally papered is totally irrelevant if you paper it yourself as an SBR and then configure it any way you want. I don't see the draw to building it as a pistol first, unless you just have to have a functional weapon while you await the stamp.

Rob

Thanks for your comments. I want to build it as a pistol since it is my first attempt at putting an AR together, I just want to make sure it runs right before the hassle and expense of a stamp. I want to build a reasonably high quality gun without breaking the bank, ie: Spikes lower, RRA parts kit, probably a Spikes buffer assembly. I am looking at RAA A2 upper parts but haven't decided whether to go 7" or 10.5". Just iron sights, no optics. And yeah, it does have the spider logo but I passed on the one that is colored with red fill. I have another AR so this will just be a fun gun and learning experience. I would appreciate any additional comments and/or suggestions.
Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom