Another coming of age story...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have celiac disease, and food with gluten in it doesn't even tempt me anymore.

Donuts? Nope, I'm not eatin' that.
Apple Pie? Not eatin' it.
Chicken Fried Steak? (I LOVE chicken fried steak!) Nope, you can't MAKE me eat that!

I think food with enough negative consequences tends to train us to stay away, especially if they are fairly immediate (excess weight doesn't count)

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I started battling gout, among other things, about 7-8 years ago. Allopurinol definitely helped.

Fortunately I discovered that if I don't eat very much bologna or regular hot dogs it helps a lot. I haven't needed the Allopurinol for a few years now.

I will be 59 next month. I was a completely different man at 50 than I am now.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a bout of gout once after eating all you can eat crab legs and a couple oranges for a mid afternoon snack. Woke up during the night with big toes hurting. I didn't know why at the time. I finally got up for work. Putting on socks wasn't pleasant and putting on steel toe boots worse. Walking sucked but not nearly as much as going up and down stairs. About middle of the day I determined it to be gout by talking to a friend that has had it before and his wife is an RN. I immediately went to the store and bout 2 bags of dried cherries. I ate 1 entire bag and finished my work day. I went in later that afternoon or the next day to the doctor who did lab work and said my number had declined to close to normal. No prescription needed and I have tried to be more careful with what I eat, but I keep a bag of dried cherries on hand in case I have another episode because I didn't stop eating read meat or seafood. I just watch the citrus fruits and seafood in the same day now.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started battling gout, among other things, about 7-8 years ago. Allopurinol definitely helped.

Fortunately I discovered that if I don't eat very much bologna or regular hot dogs it helps a lot. I haven't needed the Allopurinol for a few years now.

I will be 59 next month. I was a completely different man at 50 than I am now.

Funny thing about that is that it’s true and many of us know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom