Another Expensive Hobby - The Price Tag Made Me Take A Step Back!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So this past year I've began to try my hand at some very basic watch repair. I've taken an in depth online course, consisting of 3 levels and over 60 individual lessons thus far, and have thoroughly enjoyed the process of learning something completely different than anything I'd done in the past. I'm now to the point where to continue my journey it will require the purchase of some specialty tools. I got in to the hobby just by buying the most basic of necessities. Tonight I priced out some specialty equipment that I would need to service certain types of watch movements, to be able to repair certain watch parts rather than simply replacing them, as well as a few upgrades from cheap/chinesium tools to more quality Swiss tools. Well, the total cost (not including shipping or taxes) for these upgrades is $1,923.73 (and that is saving nearly $1,000 on only a few items buy not getting the top tier models)! I guess I'll just put the next round of my watchmaking journey on hold for now!! That's quite a chuck of change, and right now I still love my H&K SP5 way too much to sell it for another hobby. I might consider selling the Staccato, but not the H&K!!

By the way, this cost is only tooling and does not cover any of the lighting upgrades I'd like to do to the workbench. That'll come in time though.
Could you make some money repair stuff for folks? Would be a write-off if you actually start a business.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always been fascinated by mechanical anything. I love the interrelationship of parts moving or stationary. I watch videos about engines watches, locks, and machines that make these devices. I guess it all stems from grandpa's old farm shop and the way it was all set up to work with one electric motor just by removing a belt on the air compressor and putting a belt on the grinder or drill press.

Making watches just amazes me, especially with my horrendous math skills. Just how people can make something so small do something so accurate is just plain magic.

I applaud you sir.
Just ask him out already

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i used to carry an Illinois Bun Special pocket watch and later a hamilton railway. there used to be an old fella that kept the railroad watches all working that i would take my watches to once a year to get them cleaned and adjusted. what a marvelous way to make a living it was fascinating. he tought me the correct way to wind a watch and how to keep them on time. just fascinating but probably a lost art
My brother just had dad 1967 Railroad Special serviced by this guy. I believe he apprenticed under the gentleman you may be referring to.
https://www.unwindintime.com/

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Buy the items as you need them, with exception to the cleaner. I started on this road recently and have found most items can be replaced if fubar and I have several donor watches already . I am on the hunt for a needs repair cleaner , using elbow grease and a sonic cleaner at the moment and it is tedious but works......

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@thor447

Before you buy too much, may I recommend this folks. A year is 11 bucks theres a lot of long time watchmakers there. Parts and supplies are hard to find.

Theres people on there that restore/fix watches.

Most people specialize, PW or WW.

Much of that site is free.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/1086047761

4B708A87-2645-47C9-AC36-9973F0E1BBF8.png
71447EFB-E991-4682-8BBA-40D02A5184DB.png06FC0077-669E-45B9-953E-E8DCAC1E74B0.png671B73E5-077C-466C-BD94-8D46F209B7F5.png

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s many tools you can’t get anymore as well as tools you’ll never need like a mainspring winder. Many advanced collectors will help you out or point to items on eBay they sell. A good staking set is a must, cleaning machine, timer etc. I use dental tools putting the plates together.

buy a cheap watch and practice. I don’t work on other peoples watches as a screwdriver slip causes a issue with a customer watch.

Mainspring an timing are an art and tedious.

A COA not that big of a deal if your watch is close to timing. Mainsprings and crystals are hard to find, most 16 and 18 size paw all use a few crystals.

my 02

best of luck768A2C5B-5A22-4181-B0ED-9F7492841BC5.jpeg

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I bought a new Omega Speedmaster for $400 in 1979, still have it. I sent it off to Omega to be rebuilt and when I got it back it looked brand new. I'm kinda afraid to wear it.....
Great mechanical timepieces are meant to be worn; quit coddling it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom