Another Expensive Hobby - The Price Tag Made Me Take A Step Back!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I inherited an 8 bell American made with German movement nautical ships clock. Eight bells at 4, 8 and 12 o'clock to mark the end of a mariner's four-hour watch, with one bell the first half-hour after, plus one additional bell with each subsequent half-hour. The novelty of the sound soon wore off and we put it in the silence mode.
Surprisingly here in Tulsa there was a Rolex master watchmaker that sepcialized in ship's clocks. I had him clean and lubricate it but soon after, the chore of winding it every 8 days was neglected and now it sits on a shelf. Like mechanical watches I'm shocked at how expensive new one's have become.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mechanical chronographs are very tough to work on. So many more moving pieces. Next to a minute repeater, they are among the most involved watch complications. The place I'm taking classes from is still developing their chronograph course, which is due for release in November. I have an old chronograph myself that hasn't been serviced in about 10 years, and will be the watch I use when taking that course. It's still running, but is due to be cleaned, re-lubricated, and regulated.
I have always been an admirer of the Bulova Accutron Rail Road and Spaceview Watches my dad had rebuilt quite a few of those. I had one with a Spidel band,

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HR director in a place I worked at back in the day only worked on the mantle clocks as a hobby.
My mom inherited one from her mom that came from Germany in the 1800's.
Took him awhile but he got it going. I hated that thing. It dinged on the half hour and chimed on the hour. Hated midnight and noon.

My father in-law has collected clocks for some time, but recently decided it was time to let them go. My wife and I got our pick before he sold the bulk of his collection. We came home this weekend with four wall clocks, three mantle clocks, a grandfather clock, and a grandmother clock.

I initially set and wound them all. The top of the hour now sounds like the members of Pink Floyd are dispersed about the house. I've decided to only let 2 or three of them strike & chime. The rest will either be switched to "silent" or allowed to wind down.

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get a 5000 lumen Honeywell LED shop light from Sam's Club Let us know you're not a robot - Sam's Club

I've got ten of them in the house, most in my shop rooms. I've developed cataracts, and they help until I can get the surgery. Was supposed to be last week for the left eye, had to reschedule for later this month.

I'm building my own machine shop. I can sympathize.

Bill
For hand tools, you might try a locksmith supply. I have used a key-cutting machine to make small gears and rods for diecast cars and trucks. Hope this helps, If not sorry to take your time.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've gathered, there is indeed a big need for new watchmakers. The older generation of these are retiring in great numbers, and there isn't enough people coming in to the trades to apprentice and fill those positions. A good watchmaker is never short of available work, and can command a hefty price.
I know a gentleman here in Lawton who works on clocks (maybe fine watches as well? IDK). If you were to take him a clock in for repair tomorrow, he would likely tell you to inquire about it come December--of next year! He does stay busy.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
watched this rolex repair video a few weeks ago, lots of interesting tools, screws so tiny you would probably need a magnifying glass to see.

cool spring winder at about 25:00

interesting comments on rolex at 29:00

back in the early 70's my dad was sold a used rolex by a local jeweler after he had broken several wrist watches, the jeweler told him he would never break a rolex, he never broke the watch, but he did break the crystal I think twice and a third time he melted or smeared the crystal while cutting steel with a torch, back then I think it was about $150 to replace the crystal, so he put the rolex away and went back to wearing cheap watches

the last time I mentioned a broken crystal on a rolex 2 members on this forum questioned if it was even possible to break a rolex crystal, the thread was locked before I could reply.

if it is impossible to break a rolex crystal i am not sure why rolex sells replacement crystals and has instructions on how to replace a broken crystal?

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thor if you ever need some watches to work on, I have several pocket watches.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for sure. I'd need to get through my current list of items to work on, but later on if you'd be interested in getting any of those serviced at no-charge, I'd appreciate the opportunity to work on those. There is no better method for getting better at something than practice, and pocket watches are a great way to do that. Bigger parts, generally easier to work on, etc. @okierider has apparently taken up the hobby was well. Tagging him for FYI.

I'm currently winning 2 ebay auctions right now for non-running watches for use in future projects. One of them is a SWEET older Rado that would make for very cool vintage watch, so fingers crossed. I have my max bid set pretty low, I won't overpay, but I do hope I can get them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom