Another Expensive Hobby - The Price Tag Made Me Take A Step Back!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Second thought on your comment. Fortunately for me, Nikon introduced the "FTZ" adapter at the same time of the release of their mirrorless camera bodies so that us Nikon owners could still use their older F-mount lenses. I'll have to check to see if Canon released a similar adapter so their old "L" lenses would fit their mirrorless camera bodies.
I’m going Fuji if I go mirrorless.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a buddy in Mizzou that is on the same path. The amount of money just to be able to work on them is crazy. I have a basic set of tools to swap batteries (non divers) and change bands is closet to a benjamin already.

Nic D.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So this past year I've began to try my hand at some very basic watch repair. I've taken an in depth online course, consisting of 3 levels and over 60 individual lessons thus far, and have thoroughly enjoyed the process of learning something completely different than anything I'd done in the past. I'm now to the point where to continue my journey it will require the purchase of some specialty tools. I got in to the hobby just by buying the most basic of necessities. Tonight I priced out some specialty equipment that I would need to service certain types of watch movements, to be able to repair certain watch parts rather than simply replacing them, as well as a few upgrades from cheap/chinesium tools to more quality Swiss tools. Well, the total cost (not including shipping or taxes) for these upgrades is $1,923.73 (and that is saving nearly $1,000 on only a few items buy not getting the top tier models)! I guess I'll just put the next round of my watchmaking journey on hold for now!! That's quite a chuck of change, and right now I still love my H&K SP5 way too much to sell it for another hobby. I might consider selling the Staccato, but not the H&K!!

By the way, this cost is only tooling and does not cover any of the lighting upgrades I'd like to do to the workbench. That'll come in time though.
So, no joke. But my grandfather was the master watchmaker for the Queen of Holland and did all her watch/clock repairs. I have all his tools and equipment. I have the pictures and article from the Tulsa World for provenance. Maybe we can work out a deal or do some trading. And, I can send you pics of everything as well.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out wristwatch revival on youtube. He's got a bunch of interesting videos and he's nice to listen to. I wanted to get into watch repair myself but the cost can be a considerable factor. As far as lighting for the work bench, I bought a pack of these for my garage. Super inexpensive and let me tell you these suckers are bright! 8 lights light up a two bay garage and they can be daisy chained together.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNPL2VC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, no joke. But my grandfather was the master watchmaker for the Queen of Holland and did all her watch/clock repairs. I have all his tools and equipment. I have the pictures and article from the Tulsa World for provenance. Maybe we can work out a deal or do some trading. And, I can send you pics of everything as well.
You have my attention sir! Sending PM with my contact info.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd pick up of few of these job requests, call it a legit business and deduct the costs of the tools etc.
I'm getting closer to a point where I'd feel comfortable doing a general mechanical service on someone else's watch. I've gotten a few more under my belt since the last update, including one particularly challenging 70's Lord Matic that is currently getting run in on the timegrapher. I'm finding most of the parts needed for the watches I've been working on are only available overseas. It's taking 2-3 weeks in many cases just to get parts in, but thus far I'm seeing good results with my work. There are still a couple of big ticket items that I'd like to get (tool wise) that will allow me to do some specialized repair work, but I'm fully set up now to do basic watch service. I still have a long way to go but it is enjoyable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom