Another fly fishing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to the pond(s) in Norman tomorrow to maybe try my hand at catching a fish with my fly rod. This will be my first time casting with a lure on it. With the selection of flies that I have which should I try? The pond has bass, panfish, and should be stocked with trout for the kids fishing derbies that are coming up in a few weeks.

IMG_0142.JPG

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there's lily pads or some other vegetation, a popper may get hit by some bluegills. Also, I've noticed sunfish love hitting anything with rubber legs.
Stripping those wooly buggers might draw some strikes.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies gents! I didn't have any luck today, but I may try a different pond tomorrow. I only tried the smaller, brown wooly today. I threw some different lures on the spinning reel and bait caster today too with no luck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies gents! I didn't have any luck today, but I may try a different pond tomorrow. I only tried the smaller, brown wooly today. I threw some different lures on the spinning reel and bait caster today too with no luck.

as cool as the water is, I didn't think you would have much luck. When it gets above 60 degrees water temps, I'd bet you can go back to the same place and score.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
as cool as the water is, I didn't think you would have much luck. When it gets above 60 degrees water temps, I'd bet you can go back to the same place and score.

I agree. I didn't figure I would have that great of luck today anyways. Today was just more of get out and work on my cast. I was hoping the shallow areas in the pond would be warm with the sun today, but I think they were still down deep. I have had so so luck at best at this particular pond. I may try a different one close to my house just for fun though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom