Another if you were to.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This time it is a float trip here.

Before all the dams got put up on the river in OKC I put my canoe in below Overholser and
floated to Eastern ave as that was where the last dam would be put up.
Another time I floated from Union city to Norman in the canoe. 12 hours to make it to I44.

Pick a time when it is raining some to get more speed.

With that said I thought way back the a float trip to Eufaula lake would be awesome.
To make it more interesting you could only take a few things.

That is along the same lines as the Alaska deal but right here in Oklahoma and would be a good start to test your skills.

Buddy did a kayak from Eastern ave in OKC to Shawnee or Seminole and called it done.
Said he had enough and it was just 1 very long day of constantly paddling.
He said if he slowed down and enjoyed it he would not have burnt out .

How many items do you get to take is a first aid kit not considered an item.
How about water?

Or just do it "No food" and take what you wish other than food.
Canoe, kayak or pirogue

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t done a multi day canoe trip since the mid 80’s. Me and buddy did weekend trip down the Neches river here in east TX, and it was horrible with tons of downed trees to get over or under and absolutely no current (lots of paddling). We later did about 70 miles of the Buffalo and White rivers in Arkansas, and that was a great trip. We fished our way down and didn’t take much with us.

I wanted to bring my mini canoe/pirogue with me last weekend and have my wife drop me off where the Salt Fork crosses the highway north of Cherokee and pick me up at my place, but with family coming, I didn’t think it was the best time to do it.

I’m not near as adventurous as I was in my teens, and I would want to pack for different scenarios and would probably end up taking way more than needed if doing a multi day float trip today. I would definitely take water, but I would also take my Katadin filter and a few life straws. I would probably take a little food, but I think I would gamble on catching fish for the major food source.

I could get on board with an OSA float trip. :thumb:

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to do the Illinois River float trips back in the 70s 80s and 90s several times a year North of Tahlequah, OK. Rent a canoe at any one of several places and they take you up stream 5, 10 , or 15 miles and drop you off. That was back when you could take some cold beers and stop off and play in the water to cool off where ever you wanted. Think I still have the recipe for the gallon jugs of MI-Tia we used to take. Put one out to start thawing on the way, keep the other one slow thawing in the ice chest along with plenty of sandwiches. Mostly flintrock gravel bottom. Had to watch the water levels, sometimes very swift, sometimes dragging bottom several places. I do remember knowing that part of the river well back then and one time getting on the river at about noon for the 15 mile trip and got back to turn my canoe in (no one was still there) at about midnight on a full moon night. They would probably have the search and rescue helicopters and an airboat out looking for you in this day and age.
If you had your own kayak or canoe and a way to get them upstream you could float for free anytime you want. Lots of twists and turns and fun crazy people to watch on the way down the river. Yep good old days.

Last edited:

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s been a few years since I’ve done a multi-day canoe trip, but I’ve been thinking about one for this fall. Probably just a two day trip. I’ve scouted the Washita River between Carnegie and Anadarko. A couple of friends are going with kayaks, and I’ll be the pack canoe with all our supplies.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t done a multi day canoe trip since the mid 80’s. Me and buddy did weekend trip down the Neches river here in east TX, and it was horrible with tons of downed trees to get over or under and absolutely no current (lots of paddling). We later did about 70 miles of the Buffalo and White rivers in Arkansas, and that was a great trip. We fished our way down and didn’t take much with us.

I wanted to bring my mini canoe/pirogue with me last weekend and have my wife drop me off where the Salt Fork crosses the highway north of Cherokee and pick me up at my place, but with family coming, I didn’t think it was the best time to do it.

I’m not near as adventurous as I was in my teens, and I would want to pack for different scenarios and would probably end up taking way more than needed if doing a multi day float trip today. I would definitely take water, but I would also take my Katadin filter and a few life straws. I would probably take a little food, but I think I would gamble on catching fish for the major food source.

I could get on board with an OSA float trip. :thumb:
Be a blast ! haven't done a river trip since 80's early 90's either

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to do the Illinois River float trips back in the 70s 80s and 90s several times a year North of Tahlequah, OK. Rent a canoe at any one of several places and they take you up stream 5, 10 , or 15 miles and drop you off. That was back when you could take some cold beers and stop off and play in the water to cool off where ever you wanted. Think I still have the recipe for the gallon jugs of MI-Tia we used to take. Put one out to start thawing on the way, keep the other one slow thawing in the ice chest along with plenty of sandwiches. Mostly flintrock gravel bottom. Had to watch the water levels, sometimes very swift, sometimes dragging bottom several places. I do remember knowing that part of the river well back then and one time getting on the river at about noon for the 15 mile trip and got back to turn my canoe in (no one was still there) at about midnight on a full moon night. They would probably have the search and rescue helicopters and an airboat out looking for you in this day and age.
If you had your own kayak or canoe and a way to get them upstream you could float for free anytime you want. Lots of twists and turns and fun crazy people to watch on the way down the river. Yep good old days.
those were great days did the same quite a few times.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did a two day on the Buffalo in Arkansas with a canoe. Sandwiches, beer and water. Sleeping on that gravel sucks.
I’ve done a one night on the Arkansas River putting in at Arkansas City Ks at the city park and basically floating in the current with little paddling to a sandbar to spend the night, finally getting out after paddling up a creek near Newkirk in a kayak. Took fishing gear, sandwiches, and water and fire starting tools. (Charcoal lighter fluid and matches)

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used to put in with motorcycles at Hinton and ride all the way to Norman on a
Saturday. Then ride trails and climb hills at Draper on Sundays.

On float trips as a church group, we painted the Shannondale Church then floated the Buffalo eating sammiches and tea and in ROTC we had two man assault rafts and I got to retrace my route 10 years prior. We had C Rats and MRE's. I had a blast on both trips.

Latest posts

Top Bottom