Another one joins the fold.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was followed home again.

This time by a Stevens 87T. This is the 87A in a Tenite (plastic) stock. The date code makes it a 1949 production rifle. The only thing wrong is a slightly bent front sight. The only difference besides the plastic is that these have 2 takedown screws.

20190813_192756.jpg

20190813_192811.jpg

20190813_192817.jpg

20190813_192823.jpg

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Might need to follow Mark from Anvil and get a section of gutter and boil that barrel!! Looks like she is cleaner that usual.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How rare is the 87 with tennite. I’ve seen a couple but it’s been a while.

The Tenites aren't necessarily rare, but they are uncommon. They had a shorter production run from the late 40s to the very early 50s while the regular 87s were made from 1938 until sometime in the 60s I believe. Also I believe they were only done under the Stevens brand name. I now have 2, but the other one, while it works OK, does have a few issues.

I usually see these sell on average for $50-$80 more than their tree wrapped brethren.

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might need to follow Mark from Anvil and get a section of gutter and boil that barrel!! Looks like she is cleaner that usual.

She is quite clean. Only a little surface rust on the barrel. The stock shows wear but that is typical for these. The plastic is unforgiving when it comes to getting banged around.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those that are interested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenite

"Tenite is a brand of cellulosic thermoplastic materials produced by the Eastman Chemical Company. Created in 1929, and trademarked in 1932, Tenite has been used in a wide variety of consumer, industrial, architectural and medical applications. Tenite cellulosics are manufactured from renewable raw materials (soft woods); they exhibit many of the same tactile and finish properties as wood, yet can easily be molded and extruded. Historically, applications for Tenite have varied from radios and telephones, to toys, toothbrushes and eyeglass frames."

And of course... gun stocks.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, he is. It’s already for sale in the classifieds.

Nope, that's a different one. I got this one as an upgrade to that one. From the looks of it, that one will be going to a good home and will help bring a heirloom back to life. (I'll let the buyer reveal their identity if they choose.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom