Another trust question--please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have had a trust for several years now with myself, and my brother on it.
I want to add my son to it, no new items (guns,supp.etc) Just add his name on the trust.

Anyone know the correct procedure to do this and if it requires an attorney?
I am in tulsa.
Thanks

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have had a trust for several years now with myself, and my brother on it.
I want to add my son to it, no new items (guns,supp.etc) Just add his name on the trust.

Anyone know the correct procedure to do this and if it requires an attorney?
I am in tulsa.
Thanks
I'm guessing it depends on how the Trust is written. Mine allows me to add and remove names as desired, no attorney involved. You might want to have an attorney look it over just to be sure.

Glocker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, will dig it out of the safe to see what it says.
If so, does one copy the current trust and add the name in, then have to send it to the ATF, or can you just add the name and it's good to go?
That's the area I don't quite understand.
Thanks

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, will dig it out of the safe to see what it says.
If so, does one copy the current trust and add the name in, then have to send it to the ATF, or can you just add the name and it's good to go?
That's the area I don't quite understand.
Thanks

I just add names / remove names - always keeping it current. The original stays in the safe and a copy goes with me to the range. I don’t believe it has to be resubmitted to the ATF unless you add an additional Class III item. In that case, everyone currently listed on the Trust has to submit fingerprints / background check, etc.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is written to easily add or remove people, as well, no other notification required. I'd definitely want an attorney to do it if it involved firearms. Or hell, anything of value.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As others have said, depending on how your trust is written, it may only take a simple add name, notarize and good to go. That's a loophole of the recent trust changes, being able to add responsible persons to it to have access to it with a simple addition/notary. Also, if you are considering adding your son to your trust as a beneficiary, I believe he has to be 18yoa to be added; I could be wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom