Another where to go post.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mt Rushmore, Black Hills, Sturgis, Deadwood is a fantastic trip. Go in late September you will LOVE it!

If anyone does that one, a day trip up to Devil's Tower is also pretty cool. Perhaps most never know that they climbed Devil's Tower back in the 1890's using special ladders that could be "fastened" to the rock walls.

When we were there a few years back and hiked around the tower, we saw some tubes on top of posts in the ground. Those were supposed to be telescopes with which to see the ladders, but the lenses in the telescopes were long gone. Fortunately, I had my 28-300mm lens with me, so I got a shot of one of the ladders.

One can just barely see the ladder on the right side of the third "column" from the right.

In this next one, the ladder is pretty much in the center and on the right side of the "vertical" column.

Sometime after Devil's Tower became a national park, the park service removed the bottom 100 feet of the ladders to prevent others from climbing the tower.

Longstrider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, the wife and I will be celebrating our 33rd anniversary next month, and it is my turn to pick where to go. Have been looking for months now and keep finding "meh", so I need some recommendations for a good place to go this year. Will have to be somewhat local, OK, TX, AR, etc. Doesn't have to be fancy, we are simple poor folk after all. Just the usual, go to a place to see the sights, tours, shopping, dinner, the occasional couple massage etc.

Went to Hot Springs the year before last and had a great time, but want to do something different this time.
Here is a list of past places we have gone for the occasion over the years.
1. Yellowstone
2. Devels Tower
3. Hot Springs
4. Buchart Gardens
5. St. Augistine
6. Wakulla Springs
7. PNW Volcano Tours
Ride the Train at Chana, New Mexico

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If anyone does that one, a day trip up to Devil's Tower is also pretty cool. Perhaps most never know that they climbed Devil's Tower back in the 1890's using special ladders that could be "fastened" to the rock walls.

When we were there a few years back and hiked around the tower, we saw some tubes on top of posts in the ground. Those were supposed to be telescopes with which to see the ladders, but the lenses in the telescopes were long gone. Fortunately, I had my 28-300mm lens with me, so I got a shot of one of the ladders.

One can just barely see the ladder on the right side of the third "column" from the right.

In this next one, the ladder is pretty much in the center and on the right side of the "vertical" column.

Sometime after Devil's Tower became a national park, the park service removed the bottom 100 feet of the ladders to prevent others from climbing the tower.

Did not know that. Very interesting.

Rode to Devils Tower when I rode up to the Sturgis rally in 2017. That was probably the best part of the trip. Amazing sight to see. Can’t wait to go back one of these days with the family.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no suggestion for you guys, but I do wanna congratulate you both on 33 years. :clap3: Mrs. GED and I will celebrate 36 years this October.

Congrats to OP! And you guys. Grumpy and I just had our 21st and it doesn't seem like it's been that long.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions -- the only places we go are to the doctor's office, the massage gal's office and the mall to get my nails done (and Grumpy's pedicure). HEY!! Don't knock it! He is type 2 and his doctor is flabbergasted at how good his feeling and circulation is in his feet. She says it is VERY unusual for someone who has been diabetic for as long as he has -- 25 years now -- to not have ANY problems with their feet. He's very grateful I talked him into getting a little kinky now. 😉😛😂

Latest posts

Top Bottom