Antique air compressor info?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My family has been clearing out my parents home and property. Dad passed 21 years ago and Mom 2 weeks ago. Nearly 50 years ago my dad acquired a used air compressor that was used occasionally. I think is was very old when dad got it.
I didn't turn it on, but it looks to be in good shape.

I snapped a picture of the plate on the motor and will post if I can.
It's Westinghouse 1/6 hp, type FJ.

Anyone here know about these or a good source for more information other than the basic Google search I just did?
20210911_120532.jpg
20210911_120441.jpg

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. Not knowing anything about it, it looks like a home built to me. Seems like it would have been better to put motor and compressor on top vs cutting the tank size down by 2/3. Will be interested in others thoughts on it.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. Not knowing anything about it, it looks like a home built to me. Seems like it would have been better to put motor and compressor on top vs cutting the tank size down by 2/3. Will be interested in others thoughts on it.
I agree it looks home/shop built, but I'm thinking it was made from two tanks instead of a large one cut down.

Enclosing the motor/compressor won't make it run very cool either.

EDIT:
Dont know what you found on your google search but seems like it may have originally came out of a dental office and used to run their tools to do dental work.
Hmmm.... very interesting...
:drunk2:
___

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The top portion should be removable to expose the motor and compressor, they were a quite running compressor and usually the cutoff switch was set for around 40-60 psi but a few was higher but not much

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dont know what you found on your google search but seems like it may have originally came out of a dental office and used to run their tools to do dental work.
You may be correct. My dad was a dental technician. I thought I remembered this coming from the lab where he worked when it was replaced. But a dentist may have given it to him. I don't know for sure, it was 50 or more years ago.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The top portion should be removable to expose the motor and compressor, they were a quite running compressor and usually the cutoff switch was set for around 40-60 psi but a few was higher but not much
The top has a sliding door that is open in the picture, but it is a cover that is very easy to remove.

Latest posts

Top Bottom