Any 41 mag shooters here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have my first 41 mag headed my way, a 4 5/8" Ruger BH. Found it on a forum the other night at a price I couldn't pass up, so I jumped on it. Ordered dies tonight, also found a 550 conversion kit for it on a FB page and it should beat the dies here. Just looking for opinions on this round, having never fooled with one so far. Also, does anyone know of a place in OKC that sells cast bullets or brass that would fit it? Thanks!

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, 1967 Ruger three screw. My favorite revolver, and my favorite revolver round. Local brass can be hard to find sometimes.
Seeing that components are not going to be easy already, will probably just order up 500 new Starline to start with and find some bullets from one of the online guys. I have been getting cast boolits from T&B Bullets, great prices and products, but his are all BB and have been told that revolvers shoot PB bullets more accurately, so am thinking of trying some PB. Looking forward to a new caliber, even though I've been saying for months that I didn't want to add another set of dies LOL

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://jkbullets.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5&zenid=29e99a190aabf52572b91d9673018aaa
Have never ordered from them.

http://missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=23
I have ordered from these guys. Decent bullets.

I have had no trouble getting bullets or brass from the big box stores but selection is limited from time to time.
I've ordered from Midway before, too.
I use cast bullets for plinking loads out of my BH, 657 and Contender barrel. I never noticed an issue with BB. I switch over to jacketed for hotter loads and anything out of my Marlin 94...it does not like cast bullets at all.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
69 model 6.5" 3-screw Blackhawk. Non-converted.
I ordered 500 cases from Starline, oh so easy. I cast for mine, but haven't spent a huge amount of time with it. I've tried 3 different loads, I need to get back on it. Spring is coming.

Funny thing, I had dies for 41 Mag for years, I'm not even certain how I came to possess them. Some forgotten trade, most likely. Occasionally I would look at the dies, and ponder selling them, as I had no 41 Mag firearms for which to load. Then, one day, this 3-screw followed me home.....

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the 41mag, I have 3, S&W 57, Red Hawk and Black hawk. I cast my own
If you buy cast make sure that the hardness is 12-15 BHN or a little softer.
If harder you WILL get leading, the base of the bullet needs to upset and seal the bore
a hard cast bullet will not upset.
It would be a good idea to measure the cylinder throats and bore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom