Any and all Winchester WST data

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I love TiteGroup but it burns really hot. My 158gr practice load in .38 Special with TiteGroup works really well, but the gun gets so hot that I have to let it cool between strings. Not something I want to run through my can.

Your can should handle it. I ran 100 rounds rapid fire through mine with 32 round mags, cooked all the oil off of it and it took every bit of the licking. I don't know what can you got, but if it is full auto rated, you can really abuse the crap out of it with a semi auto. My trident is made to go on a sub machine gun.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your can should handle it. I ran 100 rounds rapid fire through mine with 32 round mags, cooked all the oil off of it and it took every bit of the licking. I don't know what can you got, but if it is full auto rated, you can really abuse the crap out of it with a semi auto. My trident is made to go on a sub machine gun.

I have an Evo, which is not full auto rated. I know it will handle it, but I appreciate keeping it cooler so I can keep it screwed on and not half to wait a half hour after a range session before I can case it.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an Evo, which is not full auto rated. I know it will handle it, but I appreciate keeping it cooler so I can keep it screwed on and not half to wait a half hour after a range session before I can case it.

I haven't had any problems sticking my case on the can and taking it off while smoking hot. I wouldn't do it with a 5.56 can, but I can't get the 9mm hot enough to melt it. When I'm done, I usually let it sit while I gather up my stuff then just stick the case on it and screw it off or de-3 lug it no problems so far.

Plus, unless you keep the round count low in a shooting session, it's going to get hot. It just may happen a little faster with titegroup. I haven't noticed any increased heating over shooting factory ammo. The aluminum cools pretty well with a light breeze outside. May be a problem indoors, but I've never shot indoors with it so I can't speak on that.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Between cool burning and clean burning, I'd pick clean first. Another heat issue is that I'll be using heavy metal free primers and fully encapsulated bullets. This will generate more heat on the barrel already, so a cool burning powder will be a plus there. With the right powder selection though, they should be as clean as factory rounds like Win-Clean.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a reason it's not listed for 9mm and .380. You can easily get into pressure trouble before you get up to full velocity with WST. HP38/231 is much safer in these calibers.

I have an old Winchester book that shows WST loads for 10mm if you need that.

I would be interested in the 10mm loads if/when you get some free time.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be interested in the 10mm loads if/when you get some free time.

WST -----------------------------MAX FPS
150gr JHP 5.5 to 7.0 34,000 1190
155gr JHP 5.0 to 8.0 31,900 1220
170gr lead 5.0 32,100 1020
170gr JHP 4.5 to 5.5 29,500 1020
180gr JHP 5.0 to 5.5 35,200 1010
190gr FMJ 4.5 26,700 850
200gr lead 3.8 to 5.0 32,400 940
200gr FMJ 4.6 35,600 890

Data reproduced from 14th edition Winchester Reloading Manual
Usual reloading precautions and disclaimers apply
Use at your own risk :contract: