Any demand for brass?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloading goals! One day this will happen...

With the 650, I can assemble 1000rds in about 45-50 minutes, add another 15 minutes or so to case gauge them. Trying to do that twice back-to-back is a bit tougher. The 1050 is autodriven and I did a relaxing 2000rnd. All gauged, weighed, bagged, and even loaded 30 magazines at the same time, all in less than 2 hours. I'm running the machine at 1500rds/hr, but I would guess the yield is about 15% less due to stopping to fill powder and primers. I'm not really comfortable running it at the 2100-2400 speeds yet, but have processed brass at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was discussing plinking rounds in 223, I think is what the OP was asking about. Most people that are reloading 223 are not doing it for accuracy. If I figure the brass at a zero cost, the cheapest I can reload 223 is about $0.19 a round.
At the big show last weekend you could buy 1000 rounds of 223 for $208, which is $0.208 a round.
The OP was also asking about selling his brass. If I can get a good deal on 223 brass it is $55 a 1000, which moves my cost up to $0.20 a round, if I figure getting 5 reloads per case.
I enjoy reloading and I am cheap. I will reload because I enjoy it and a penny saved is a penny earned. I would reload rounds for my long range rifles, regardless of the cost because it is about accuracy. However, that is not what the OP asked about, he asked if his brass was worth anything.

Last edited:

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deprimed, cleaned, stamp sorted.

is there any demand/buyers for this or am i better off tossing my excess stash of brass in the scrap bin? I did a general search for bass and the most recent post i found on here was really old. I got a closet full of stuff I am organizing in preparation for moving once i get a job offer, could stand to get rid of some brass and some cash would be nice too.

Mostly talking 9mm and 223/5.56.

Hopefully we haven't derailed your post too far, looking at RickN's posts about brass for sale I would say that's the standard to reach for - always good clean brass at a good price point. Couldn't hurt to offer it up (I would recommend adding quality pics as well as your processing system) and see if it sells. Good luck, and good luck with the job hunt!

oufree

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the 650, I can assemble 1000rds in about 45-50 minutes, add another 15 minutes or so to case gauge them. Trying to do that twice back-to-back is a bit tougher. The 1050 is autodriven and I did a relaxing 2000rnd. All gauged, weighed, bagged, and even loaded 30 magazines at the same time, all in less than 2 hours. I'm running the machine at 1500rds/hr, but I would guess the yield is about 15% less due to stopping to fill powder and primers. I'm not really comfortable running it at the 2100-2400 speeds yet, but have processed brass at that.

What auto drive are you using? I have been looking at them for my 1050 and thinking about the Mark 7

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crazy to think those double the loading rate. I know the auto-index helps some, but it alone surely doesn't affect the rate that much without adding a case and bullet feeder.

Indexing the plate is the easiest of the actions vs grabbing and placing a case or bullet.

Do you have powder/primer monitors also?

You'd be surprised. I only have a case feeder on my 650. But for reference when I'm prepping .223 with the Dillon trimmer I can almost keep up with the case feeder. If you have it all cleaned, lubed and ready to go you could easily do 5000 in a single afternoon and that's going fairly slow and letting the trimmer and shop vac cool off from time to time. So loading ammo would be about the same with a bullet feeder and preparing components in advance.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd be surprised. I only have a case feeder on my 650. But for reference when I'm prepping .223 with the Dillon trimmer I can almost keep up with the case feeder. If you have it all cleaned, lubed and ready to go you could easily do 5000 in a single afternoon and that's going fairly slow and letting the trimmer and shop vac cool off from time to time. So loading ammo would be about the same with a bullet feeder and preparing components in advance.

How much do you charge to rent that out for an afternoon? ;-)

oufree

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mark 7 Pro. I've been impressed with it. I feel it is a much more advanced piece of machinery than the other drives out there.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I have been looking at. Was it hard to set up and get running correctly? Sorry for all the questions just trying to make best choice based on the money!

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That is what I have been looking at. Was it hard to set up and get running correctly? Sorry for all the questions just trying to make best choice based on the money!

Not really. If you already have a running 1050, it is pretty easy to set it up. Mount the 1050 to the plate, remove the ratchet assembly, remove the handle and install the pulley in its place.
I do recommend the swage and primer fill sensors. The swage will take a bit to setup and adjust. From there the bullet sensor would be the next one I would add.

Watch for discounts or specials that include sensors.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I've seen MP's 1050 setup and coming from someone who has over 20 years experience running and programming cnc machine tools, they are pretty damn cool. If I shot enough rounds to justify one, I'd have that setup on my bench.

Latest posts

Top Bottom